Recommendations for building corporate website

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cassetti, May 14, 2007.

1. cassetti

cassetti New Member

Hey all, Here's the deal:

I work for a small but growing corporation that has a horrible website - my boss just realized that and wants to rebuild our website in house.

We attempted to use a Content Management System (OpenCMS.org) - but due to security concerns by our engineer - we can not use any sort of server side CMS system.

I need to know what software you all suggest i use to build a good website, but make it easy to build.

I have looked at Dreamweaver, but don't want to waist hours learning how templates are built and how to manage the website (dreamweaver is my backup)

I tried Netobjects Fusion 9 - The page layout and pre-made styles really made it stand out at first, but digging deeper and attempting to modify the styles really is a pain.

Would you all suggest that i look more into dreamweaver, or do ya'll have any software reccomendations (open source or commercial doesn't matter so long as there is enough documentation online!!!)

Thanks guys!!! I really need to build this site this week with my coworker who is flying in town from CA for one week to work with me

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

What are the requirements for the website? Is it just a quick info page? Need any subscription based login stuff? Protected content?

lol, what "security" concerns did your engineer have about OpenCMS?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Why not run a Windows 2003 Small Business Server?

4. cassetti

cassetti New Member

Well, lets put it this way - there are 10 people in our company - and our engineer is already wayy backed up with everything going on.

What i need is a simple way to build a multipage site - something along the lines of www.sterlingcommerce.com - thats our objective - something smooth - but doesn't have to be as complex as their site.

I am just a layout and general content guy - I know that my boss is going to want me to easily change the site around or update it at a moments notice.

The change could be anything from a simple typo to changing the layout of entire site.

I want a content management system, and the closest i've come to something easy to build and edit was Netobjects Fusion 9, but that still has its shortcommings.

5. SLED

Small Business Server builds your website for you? :eek5:

6. SLED

A Content Management System is what I would recommend. It would allow other users to manage content as well. So you, your engineer, or anybody else could make updates to the site real time, instead of bugging somebody to update the dreamweaver html and such. I use Joomla, and like it ok. Haven't tried OpenCMS, but haven't heard too many bad things about it

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

SBS comes with a nifty intranet portal and secure CMS, as well.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Small Business Server doesn't build a fully-functional public website for you, but it does come with (as Jolly pointed out) several collaboration tools pre-configured, and if you're going to take on the job of building a company website from scratch, the LAST thing you want to do is overcomplicate shit by using a platform that you're going to have to re-code to suit your needs before you can even start building on top of it. Leave the fully-customized enterprise solutions to the big boys with the staff of 100's of dedicated IT monkeys.

9. SLED

the real question that needs to answered is: where are you going to be hosting said website? Are there any platform requirements? Linux/Windows? language? php/.net/perl/etc?

10. cassetti

cassetti New Member

deusexaethera hit the nail on the head.

I've decided to just suck it up and get dreamweaver to work - i'm getting allwebmenus with the extension for dreamweaver.

I figure why not - our online store (prostores hosted) has an extension for dreamweaver for accessing the API functions and such, so my next project of overhauling our store will be that much easier.

And SLED, The site is hosted on our internal network, running on some cobalt servers running an old version of apache. The site is being built in pure html on a windows 2k box (its ridiculous, our company supports high-end IT data storage equipment all day long, and yet we can't even run anything better on our new computers than Windows 2k - wtf is up with that! )

11. deusexaethera

Windows Server 2000 isn't a bad product by any means. It's old, yeah, but it's not bad. (my biggest beef with it is that the remote administration has crappy quality compared to 2003.) Besides, once you get a server to work right, it's best to not mess with it until it stops working right.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if it aint broke, fix it till it is

13. GanglyGoodness

GanglyGoodness .

What frameworks are you using?

14. deusexaethera

Yeeeeah....