recommendations for a home gym

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by [DWI], Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Basically I used to workout alot in high school when I played sports and then in college when I lived on campus and used the on campus gym and over the summers I went to a small gym that I could get in 24 hours a day, so I am thinking about getting back into lifting, probably not as intense as I used to, but still to keep in shape (as long as the shape isn't round)

Now I live in an apartment complex and the gym there is :ugh: I mean bearings worn out and grinding on the machines covers pealing off the benches, broken clips on the machines and the rubber is pealing off the cable of the machines as well as the wires freying and all the bolts on the dumb bells are loose they don't even have an olymic bar. So basically the gym it a total waste at the apartment.

I have always prefered to not have to drive to the gym and then drive home and deal with all the hastle, plus I tend to work out at hours when the gym isn't too likely to be open.

At the moment I only have a decline bench mainly for abs use.

As for what I want to be able to do, I just want to stay in shape. I personally I have always been partial to dumb bell exercises just because they work stabalizer muscles more and I just feel more comfartable with them (plus if I am alone they just feel safter) and I tend to avoid machines since they have only one set track you can move on. I do some upper body work on the balls as well. My two limiting factors here are space, I have an outdoor patio I never use so I was planning on using that, I'd prefer to be as cheap as possible starting out while being able to do upper and lower body work, but also buy things I can keep and continue expanding on later.

I'll need at least 80's for 3x10 shrugs, floor press 55 lbs for 10x3 60-65 bench 10x3. My all time high for olympic bench one rep max was 275 lbs and squats was 495 lbs (thought I don't really foresee those being done anytime again, just because of saftey and cost/room restrictions.)

I was looking into one of those adjustable all in one sets of dumb bells and a bench/incline/military press adjustable bench, but the damn adjustable I have seen onyl go up to 55 lbs and cost a pretty penny.

I by no means am ruling out anything at this moment so feel free to recomend anything you think would be good for my situation.

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

holy fuck cliffs :ugh:

3. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

I did not read all that but what's your buget?

4. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

power rack + olympic weight set + additional weight + adjustable bench is all you need

5. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

6. V!

V! New Member

Perhaps you should call your apartment complex and tell them to fix the gym, if you raise enough hell and threaten to sue for false advertising since they advertise for a gym, they just might update it.

7. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

will your outdoor deck support such weight? is it on the first floor or something? Otherwise i'd be afraid it would make the deck collapse and cause massive damage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.