GUN Recommendations for a concealed carry revolver

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Landfill, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Landfill

Landfill New Member

I kinda been tossing this idea around for a while now on what I want to carry and I have decided if I can find a revolver I like I will likely carry that. I have a glock 30 and a ruger sp101 now, and I just love to carry the ruger over the glock. I have tried to carry an hk usp 45 compact, kimber cdp in 3 and 4 in, kimber raptor in 4in, sig p220 carry, sig p220, sig p229 and a few others but in the end I keep finding myself with my sp101.

Here is where I look for your help, I like my sp101 in .357 but I am looking for something bigger in like 44 mag but still keeping the overall size of the gun short and carryable like in a small or medium frame. Can anyone recommend any companies or models? Has anyone played around with a smith model 329 night guard or know anything about them?

2. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

why do you need anything more than a .357 :hsugh:

revolver ftl. 16-18rd of 9mm in a semi auto > 5-7 of 44mag in a revolver.

3. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

.44 Mag seems a little much for a carry weapon unless you're Dirty Harry, but the S&W 329 probably isn't a bad choice if that's what you want.

4. Landfill

Landfill New Member

I honestly hate the way a semi auto carries, and I live in Connecticut, the firearms unit and state police major crime may try to fuck you over if you fart the wrong way so it would not really surprise me if they try to prove intent if you have to use your gun and have high cap mags even though its legal to have them. I have a G30 now anyhow if I really want to carry a semi auto and I am a fan of the big bore. I know .357 will do its job but its just a 5 rounder, I figured if I am going to go out there and start looking for another revolver why not take a look at something in .44 mag. Who knows everyone here might have a bad opinion on them or I may go play around with one and hate it.

5. Landfill

Landfill New Member

Yea it could be a bit much but I am a fan of the big bore anyhow, but really I am just looking for feedback see if people have shot something similar to what I am looking for, or have carried something similar. Like I said I might go play around with one and find that I hate it, or its to big or to heavy or may realize that I do not need anything more than .357.

6. Jinkle

Jinkle Habs/Vikings > *

Bigger than .357 is pretty stupid for a CCW gun... Recoil is going to be too much for follow-up shots

7. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Would you rather be sitting in court for having a full capacity (NOT high capacity) magazine and be alive rather than dead because your 1 or 2 shots out of 5 didn't kill the guy who was trying to kill you?

8. Landfill

Landfill New Member

I just addressed your your 16-18 rounds if 9mm, most standard caps are 8-10, which is why I have the G30. I would be a lot less likely to be in court with reg cap mags vs high caps however I know where your going with this, and yes I would rather be in court dealing with that than being dead or injured.

But I am not here to argue self defense and what ifs in 1 of 1098902130 different situations you may be in one day. I should have made this clear and this is my fault for not doing so but its more for the short up town to the store, or to work, or walking the dog kind of deal. I still have my glock and extra mags for the times I go out to more public places and get involved with more potential threats. Again my fault for not making that clear.

9. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Coupla points:
    1) .44 mag is too much for self-defense. Even Hydra-shoks or other advanced hollowpoints will most likely over-penatrate the average BG. .357 FTW in a revolver caliber.

2) The typical gunfight* sees 8 rounds fired by a given party. Therefore, if your carry weapon holds less than 8 rounds, in a typical gunfight you're going to have to reload. Reloading takes time and time is NOT what you have when somebody is shooting at you.

Just food for thought. I wish you luck on your search. Mebbe try the GP-100.

* Per James Yeager at TR's Fighting Pistol class in June.

10. If you really like the big-bore calibers, why not get a revolver that shoots .45ACP? You already have the ammo from your G30. :mamoru:

11. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

James said a revolver with a couple of speed loaders is the sign of an optimist.

12. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:rofl: go shoot a .357 j-frame then ask for a .44 mag

13. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

if you get the .357 S&W you can also shoot 38 special rounds in it.....that's my choice

14. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

S&W 642 is a good choice, it's .38 spl +P. I could never get comfortable with just 5 rounds, and good luck reloading a revolver in a real life, high stress, situation. It takes LOTS of training to be able to do that well.

15. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

:rofl:

16. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

If you're set on a snub .44mag, I'd go with this:

[​IMG]

Have fun with it.

17. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

lol @ thread

18. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Its like that new silver tip I keep hearing about.

I'd like to know yeager's source for that stat too.

19. 86 Bird

86 Bird eh

I have a s&w model 60 in .357 and she takes a bit to shoot.
    Pretty much a up and close gun

20. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

[​IMG]

Then with the grips

[​IMG]

21. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

you're worried about it looking bad with a high-cap pistol, but don't think the CSP, or a jury would look lightly at the fact that you carried a .44 mag?

btw, I'm moving to CT in the next few weeks. Questions... How easy is it to get a CCW in CT? Training requirements? I currently have a CCW for MO.

22. Landfill

Landfill New Member

I see caliber just being how effective you are. You know a good lawyer will argue how many rounds you carry, length of the barrel, modifications, etc, etc. I did put more thought into it today, just seems kinda pointless looking at the ballistics and etc, my .357 does do an effective job, but I am still going to go take a peek at one tomorrow, as well as some other 357's. In the end I will likely move forward towards my next item which is a 1911 but I have a LOT more research to do on that.

Where about are you moving to in CT? As far as how easy it is, well overall its pretty easy, where I work I have never seen anyone rejected just because, it was always for a prior record with something that prevents you from getting a pistol permit, or if the person was a disruptive person in town. CT law basically says in short that if the issuing agency feels the person should not have a permit based on character alone they do not have to grant them one, and the said person would have to go through an appeals process with the state.

Process -
    -To Apply you must be 21 yrs old and completed an NRA pistol safety course and have the certification to prove it.
    -Apply at your local police dept. Fill out state and local applications.
    -Fingerprints for State and FBI are done and submitted.
    -Fingerprints come back, your local PD runs you again for any criminal activity that may have come up while you applied.
    -Local police department issues you a temporary town pistol card good for 90 days to go to the state polce and get your state card.
    -Turn in town temporary pistol permit at state police, they run you again for pending criminal activity, take your picture and issue you your permit which is good for 5 years.

BTW there is another post about it on here but I took the time to put together every gun law that was handed to me from the weapons unit for a class I took from them, its a word doc and you can download it here, if your moving to CT its well worth the read.

http://rapidshare.com/files/137918700/Connecticut_Firearms_Weapons_Guide.doc.html

Also here is the Department of Public Safety, Special Licensing and Firearms Unit's website.

http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&Q=294484&dpsNav=|

Send me a PM if there is any more information you want.

23. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

:rofl:

Seriously, "Hydra-shoks or other advanced hollowpoints" wtf?!

They were advanced all right...in about 1988.

Technology has advanced a lot since then. Gold Dot, HST, Ranger-T, DPX, those are all much better than Hydra-Shok could ever hope to be.

24. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

25. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Okay fruitcakes. I should have said "...other, more advanced hollowpoints..."

:gtfo: My point stands.