GUN Recommendation on revolver for a female?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jago, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

Has to be a revolver. Nothing too small, even a large frame revolver is fine. It will probably just sit in a night stand. Any suggestions on a cheap one? I know nothing about revolvers unfortunately. I'm looking at the Smith and Wesson .38 Specials but since I've never fired any revolvers, I'm not sure about the recoil.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2005
  2. timmy8151

timmy8151 New Member

S&W 642LS

One of the finest J frames out there. The "LS" stands for Lady Smith and is S&W's line of revolvers developed for women.

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Second the vote for Smith J-frames and add K-frames. The K is a bit larger, and chambered for .357 Mag. (You can shoot .38 Spec through the .357 Mag just fine.) The extra bulk to handle the magnum loads helps soften the .38's even more.

4. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

Yah, check out the lady smith's

5. Charter Arm's makes some nice little 38 snubbies, they go for about $200 new

6. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

I definatly agree with the .357mag. It makes the .38s feel like nothing (not that they are harsh anyway), and you can get a little 2in or even a 4in barrel. Look at colt or S&W ladysmiths.

7. attomica

attomica Active Member

I recommend the Ruger GP100 in .357. It's reasonably priced, rock solid, and versatile, being that you can put both .38 and .357 rounds through it. It's actually designed from the factory to handle +P+ ammo, which points to how solid they are. My petite, 5'3" wife handles our stainless, 6" barrel GP100 with no problem. The mass of the gun isn't unmanageable for her, but it is enough to attenuate the recoil enough for her to comfortably (and confidently) shoot full .357 rounds with it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  8. Jago

Thanks for all the input guys. I've looked at all the above recommendations and I think we'll go ahead and get a .357 Mag. We're still debating if we should go with a 2" or 4" barrel. I'm leaning toward the 4" because it might be a little bit easier to shoot. What do you guys think?

I looked at Smith & Wessons website for K frames but all they have are J and L frames under the .357 section. What are the differences between the different frames?

http://firearms.smith-wesson.com/store/index.php3?cat=293600&sw_activeTab=1

9. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

10. Jago

I couldn't find a Ladysmith in .357 with a 4" barrel so I was looking at the Smith & Wesson 686P .357 4" barrel with a 7 round capacity for $450

[​IMG]

but then I came across two Taurus models that are much cheaper and ported.

Model 608 (608SS4) 4" with 8 round capacity for $350
    [​IMG]

&

Model 627 (627SS4) 4" with 7 round capacity for $335
    [​IMG]

Considering we are going to use .38 Special, wouldn't the ported barrels be an even greater advantage for a woman over the non-ported S&W? Is Taurus a reliable brand?

11. taurus is very reliable for revolvers, their autos are a mixed bag

12. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

If you're gonna use it for defense you don't want porting as the extra flash has a tendency to ruin night vision.

13. attomica

attomica Active Member

I don't think porting is something you really need. As 7 mentioned, it can be a liability in low-light, repeated target acquisition. Plus, just the mass of the gun will make the recoil quite manageable, especially if you're using .38s. Like i said, my wife has no problem with our .357 Ruger GP100, which you apparently have not yet experienced because it is superior to the Taurus guns.

14. millero

millero Aluminum Member

a small taurus .357 will work great. you can get them new for 300 and anyone can handle them. my gf shoots my compact hammerless .357 taurus just fine.

15. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I have a S&W 686 w/4" barrel, and I have to say the recoil is not that bad, even with 357 Mag rounds. It was a lot less than I expected the first time I took it out to the range. Very accurate also. Granted, I'm a 6'4" guy...

One thing you are going to want to do is have her dry fire the ones you are looking at in double action (hammer down) mode. On my 686 the double action trigger pull is heavy. Enough so I have to compensate for it otherwise I end up shooting the silhouette in the balls. Single action (hammer cocked back) is feather light and dead on, however.

16. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

I would recommend a Taurus M85Ti. It's an ultralight .38 snubbie. Had two of them for a while, but never shot them and sold them off. Big mistake...

The wife carries a Taurus 617 7-shot .357 snubbie. Beafy gun; due to its weight, .38+P+ isn't a problem for her.