A&P Recommendable SLR Camera for a Beginner? Sub-600 bucks?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by 300zx, Sep 3, 2006.

1. 300zx

300zx Guest

Hey,

I'm taking a photo class and I need a good dSLR, I've been looking at the Digital Rebel XT and D50, but I've heard that both their 18-55mm lenses aren't the greatest.

I'm pretty much limited in my choices because of my crappy budget :( I was able to find a refurbished XT for 575 at RefurbDepot... but I'm still debating which to get. Which camera takes better crisper clearer pictures overall?

I know there's a 8MP and 6MP differences, but I probably won't feel it too much since I don't do large print photos... but still 8 is a lot bigger than 6 :(
    Gotta choose between the D50 or the XT, and with the new XTi and D80 just coming out, it's making feel real obsolete. Any other good cameras? Help me choose! Thanks!

2. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK www.JJiGz.com

Hey man, I just picked up the new rebel xt and im a beginner as well and i'm interestedin takin a course wuts it running ya? i'd like to know some figures before i find a class that suits my schedule..

3. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

A Rebel XT with the kit lens is still going to own almost every P&S out there with the possible exception of the Sony R1, but if you plan to upgrade lenses then I'd definately get the Rebel on that budget.

4. HoodRich

HoodRich Professional Street Nigga OT Supporter

get the rebel and get a 50mm 1.8 lens to go with it. The kit lens is absolutely shit, the 50mm 1.8 is top of the line in every respect except its build quality and you can get it for about 70-80 bucks brand new around 50 bucks used.

5. Redliner7

Redliner7 New Member

Nikon's D50 18-55 kit lens is actually pretty good from what I hear. All of Nikons glass seems to be real good, no matter what the price. It's just the construction of the overall unit isn't as good (price dependent). Canon, so I've heard, their glass is price dependent, and I've messed with their 18-55. It's alright...

Best recommendation is to go to the store, pick them up, and play with it. See what you like best and get that. I like my Nikon D70, so I say Nikon :)

6. cftofu2k

cftofu2k OT Supporter

i like my rebel and the 50mm 1.8 (my first lens) is well worth the price of $70. should be cheaper now that the new rebel xti just came out this month. you should be able to get the rebel with kit lens for 500-550 new, maybe lower :dunno:

7. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

For as bad of a rap as the 18-55 gets, it really is not a bad piece at all. The only thing that bothers me is that it does not zoom at all, but that's why I bought another lens.

I'll stick with my team and say D50.

8. 300zx

300zx Guest

Know of a good place to buy cameras from? I found a place for the rebel new at 390 but that was a total scam :/

9. misfits

misfits OT Supporter

RefurbDepot is shit...they have horrible reviews so I would consider buying elsewhere.

IMO I'd buy body-only rebel xt with a 50mm f/1.8 lens which is considerably cheap ($70) but a great starters lens. You'd probably be under your price cap too.

10. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

honestly, I wouldn't recommend the 50mm lens as your only lens. the reason is because these newbs to the SLR world don't care to be great photographers. a zoom lens is your best bet but keeping it within reason isn't always a possibility. if you don't absolutely need a camera at this moment, i'd suggest saving some money up, find an XT/D50/D70 body only then buy the 28-75 f/2.8 Tamron lens. Do it right!

and as far as canon vs. nikon...hold and shoot with each camera and go by that, not soley on price.

11. MonkMonk

MonkMonk New Member

12. yonson

yonson OT sux... OT Supporter

Try before you buy...

13. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK www.JJiGz.com

never even posted back in this thread.. i am lookin for classes but i checked the local community college and they offer a basic photography class but its for 35mm and u need to have your own photo developing tools... i'd like to email them and reply yeah i have my own tools and dark room but its in the form of a computer does that work..

14. JaimeZX

My wife is taking a digital photography & PS class at the local CC; instructor has a big studio in town I guess. She says he knows his stuff but he's not a very good lecturer. :o

15. .chris

.chris You drown before the water lets you in. OT Supporter

nikon

D50

16. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK www.JJiGz.com

Bump for price of classes.

17. JaimeZX

I think the one my wife is taking was like, $129 + $90 book. And I had to buy her a photo printer because the instructor wants the class to make their own prints. And I'll probably get her either the 50mm f/1.4 or the 60mm f/2.8 lens in the next 60 days or so. :hs:

18. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK www.JJiGz.com

That isn't to bad, i could deal with that i think, but the problem is finding one my way.

how long is the class for?

19. JaimeZX

All semester.

20. 300zx

300zx Guest

Thanks for all the help guys, I ended up buying a Nikon D50 for 506 for the Body. Then I bought the 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor AF Lens for 109 :)

How come these lenses are more expensive than Canon's 50mm? Also, since the D50 lacks a backlight for its LCD on top, any solution around that if I'm trying to do some night shots and need to see the screen?

This may be a far shot, but I was wondering how I could eventually get serious and make some money :p Make use of my D50 and pay itself back... how do people do this? Would be a nice Summer job this coming year. There's a lot of photographers I think so I don't know how I'll get my word out and stand apart.

Thanks again

21. JaimeZX

Congrats on your purchase, n00b.

Just practice a lot. See if you can develop some sort of signature style. Maybe run it by us and see if it's an interesting one before you try marketing it, too. :mamoru:

:wavey: Good luck!

22. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

no way around the backlit lcd...its one of the drawbacks of the camera.

as for making money, you need to get word of mouth advertising through friends and family. it may not get you paid at first but you can start after you've had some experience. just don't make yourself look like a professional when you're not.

23. Meat Popsicle

Meat Popsicle What's that smell? OT Supporter

Excellent choice. :coold:

24. Meat Popsicle

Meat Popsicle What's that smell? OT Supporter

I :love: my D50.