A&P Recommend PHOTOBOOK

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by NSX, Oct 12, 2006.

1. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

I've been printing my pics locally usually sizes of up to 12x18" and I'm happy with them. But now I want to print them onto a bounded photobook.

I've been looking around but I'm not really into those cutesy-artsy, pre-printed photobooks that looks rather cheap.

I want one of those that look like you bought it at the bookstore. Very professional looking. I haven't come across a company that will do this.

Can you recommend one? :)

(BTW, I'm not a professional photographer. Just a serious hobby of mine.)

2. Blair

Blair New Member

3. mojito

mojito New Member

4. mojito

mojito New Member

theres also the cheezy shutterfly and MyPublisher ones

5. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

6. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Try www.sharedink.com

They have an extremely high quality book and you can even have it done in leather. I have used them for several clients and they are great quality, much better than most of the other ones out there.

Asukabook is supposed to be really nice as well, but the quality cant be that much better (if at all) than Shared Ink and they are a lot more expensive than SI as well.

Also, if you are going to do any amount, think about joining their photographers section, its a one time fee, but you get extra book options and best of all, there will be no branding on the book and you can even have your own logo put on in its place if you want.

7. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

Wow, the Asuka book looks REALLY impressive! Seems like what I'm looking for. :big grin:

8. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Seriously, try Shared Ink. They are great quality, lots of wedding photogs use them for their albums and they are much cheaper than Asukabooks. I signed up for Asukabooks and was floored they wanted as much as they do for their books when I could get the same quality from SI for less.

9. .chris

.chris You drown before the water lets you in. OT Supporter

in for this!

10. mojito

mojito New Member

none that I know, and I know a lot of the top ones out there. It seems to be predesigned things only, like shutterfly. thats great for a family album, but not any thing serious. I wouldn't ever think about using that for a wedding album.

Asukais top quality and fully customizable. Theres a few others out there, like I already listed.

The last one I listed is an amazing deal is you plan to sell the book and can order a big qualtity.

11. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

Asuka is pretty nice. I did a 20 page test album and the first order is half off. Took about 2-3 weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

What is "predesigned?"

SI is fully customizable, you use Photoshop or InDesign to do all your layout, you can layout text or two page spreads, you can add whatever you want on the cover, or go with a leather book that allows for foil stamping on the cover and spine, you can have your own logo added to the back cover if you want, choose your choice of end papers...I'm not sure what is any more customizable with Asukabook.

I've used SI for clients and they are top quality books, they arent cheap designs like Shutterfly or MyPublisher or whatever, these are real books with real binding, real papers and real printing. Dont let it fool you just because it has the "cutout" cover like those home snapshot books have.

They have a full photographers program and have a lot of folks using them for client work. I'd put one up next to an Asukabook any day and be confident in its quality. Asukabooks are great quality, but I really think SI is as good and simply doesnt cost as much. Asuka is really proud of their stuff.

13. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

vwpilot, can you post up a photobook you got from Shared Ink? :wavey:

14. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I dont have any personally, they have all gone to clients.

Check out this page which is where they talk about how they cater to pro photographers and what you get if you join their photographer program, which is worth it if you will be doing any amount of them. You can sign up for free and order books with all the benefits on a 45 day trial before you actually pay him so you can test it out. http://www.sharedink.com/products/fpo/default.aspx

Then I suggest emailing or calling them, they are very helpful, I know he sent out sample books to a buddy that was thinking of using them, also you could just sign up for the trial program, spend $40 for a basic book and see for yourself, which is what I did originally. He will even refund your money if you are not satisfied with the quality. http://www.sharedink.com/corp/guarantee.aspx

The non photographer program books are identical in quality except for the certain extra features they offer for photographers, like no branding, which is great if you are selling to clients (not a big deal if its your personal books), the extra colors of linen covers, custom end papers, foil stamping and things like that.

Anyway, I have no complaints from clients that have ordered thousands of dollars worth of books from them and I think they do a great job. I'm sure there are others and Asuka makes a nice book, but I am more than pleased with the quality of SI and its a fraction of the cost of what Asuka wants.

One really cool thing in the photo program at SI is that you can send in all your own printed pages and they will bind them for you for the base price of their books, no matter how many pages you have. So if you wanted to do 40 sheets and print them yourself so you have full control over the printing, you can then send those to them and have them bound. Thats nice if you want to use a special paper or something.

15. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Here is another one I found today. www.blurb.com

They look interesting and pretty nice. I'm thinking of doing one of them and seeing what they are like, price is good. Only thing is it looks like you are bound to their layouts with their software, which is nice with SI and Asuka as you can do all your layout yourself and make it look however you want.