Recommend me the fastest RAID-compatible SATA hard drive you can think of.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Dec 10, 2009.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

When I first got my Raptors, I abused the hell out of them; stacked three tall, with no cooling whatsoever, and I'm pretty sure they've got a bunch of bad sectors now because when I run chkdsk /r, there's one point where they start chattering like crazy, presumably reading data from spare sectors because the originals have gone bad. That, and my bootup time is painful and my benchmarks show a dip in transfer speed somewhere between 20-30% of the array's capacity.

So, time to get new hard drives that haven't had the fuck beat out of them yet. I have a cooled cage, so that's not an issue anymore. I'd like to replace these with whatever is the fastest available, though probably not new Raptors because this is an old computer now and it's not worth that much money. I'm looking for something around 250-400GB of total storage space, so 125-200GB per disk. If I just can't get disks that small that also perform worth a damn anymore, then larger is fine, of course.

Suggestions?

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

The fastest mechanical drives out there would be the WD Black 2TB drives butr they sure the hell are a lot bigger than 125-200GB per disk.

3. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

unless you're doing like video encoding/editing or something to the raid you likely don't need fast drives and will probably never even notice a difference between 5400 rpm drives and 10k rpm drives in a RAID.

just get the most reliable (newegg ratings are handy) raid-compatible drives in the sizes that you want

4. White Stormy

5. White Stormy

haha wtf are you doing where you need raid on a crappy computer with a total of 400GB?

6. White Stormy

I have a WD MyBook Studio II 2TB that I use in RAID1 for backups. only downside to it is that it requires the WD software, but the software is actually pretty nice.. plays nice with everything else on my comp even with Vista x64 running, and it's very unobtrusive.

you could get one of these for less than the cost of one of those drives. it has USB 2.0, Firewire 800, and eSATA

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You'd be surprised how much multi-tasking a single-core machine can handle as long as you can keep it from getting disk-bound. I think every machine can benefit from a RAID, because the hard drive is slower than everything else plugged into the motherboard by about 100,000x on a good day. My benchmark results bear this out. The RAID array in my machine has kept it usably-fast for years past its expiration date.

I work in IT. I can tell within about 2 minutes of using someone's machine whether they have a 5400rpm or 7200rpm hard drive, and in the rare case I'm wrong, I know that means there are other things very wrong with their machine.

You know how mechanics usually drive crappy-looking cars, but which are in just about perfect tune? It's kinda like that. My computer is old, but it runs better than most machines a couple of years newer than it, and unlike them, it's still operational.

Anyway, what I'm not doing on my machine is watching ripped DVDs and never emptying my Recycle Bin. Other than that, I do pretty much everything on it from playing Team Fortress 2 to balancing my checkbook, simultaneously whenever possible.

8. White Stormy

you should not empty your recycle bin with CCleaner's secure deletion :coolugh:

9. White Stormy

with a single drive it's easy to tell the speed of their drive. I can

but I doubt you'd be able to tell when the drives are in a RAID. I can't

10. White Stormy