Recommend me some TV's for my new home.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BoypussY, Jun 7, 2008.

1. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

This will be going in the family room where the main TV watching will take place. We're really not into gaming, sports or getting the absolute best picture from movies. Just want something that looks nice, prefrebly flat screen (looks modern)but can still get a regular projection 40"+, with okay picture for regular viewing and the ocassional movie watching.

We think plasmas would be too much for us...so it's either lcd or dlp. What's the pros and cons for DLP's? can you get a dlp in flat screen? do flat screens have to be either lcd/dlp/plasma or can you just get a regular flat screen? Are lcd and plasma's only flat screen and dlp are projection? :confused:

2. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Plasma will offer the best picture quality between lcd and dlp. Plasma is also usually cheaper than lcd unless you go for Pioneer. However, you can look at panasonic which provides an awesome picture at about half the price of Pioneer. Plasma will produce better black levels, shadow details and overall color than lcd/dlp. However, they use more power(around 500watts for a 50" compared to around 350watts for a 52" lcd). I don't find that to be an issue, but some people do. If you have ALOT of windows plasma can produce some glare.

Panasonic models to look for: 42pz80, 46pz80 and 50pz80

If you looking into LCD, it'll work a bit better in extremely well lit areas, however instead of glare the image can wash out. This happened during the day when I owned my Samsung last year. LCD cannot produce a true black, so shadow detail and over all color will not be as accurate as plasma. Also, alot of the newer lcds have a glossy finish on the screen which helps them achieve better blacks, but this gives you the same reaction to extreme light as a plasma. If thats the case, plasma would be a better choice.

Models to look for: Samsung 40, 46a550, 40-46a650. Sony xbr lines are good too, but realistically I think the samsung 650/750 are better.

DLP: It's only real advantage is price. You can get a 61" for ~$1500. They have weaker viewing angles than lcd/plasma and don't produce very good shadow details and black levels. If you get a dlp with and led engine, it's maintenance free. If you get one with a conventional lamp, you will have to replace it every few years.

3. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

:bowdown: much thanks to amill...you helped a lot man.

4. CastrateSaddam

CastrateSaddam New Member

I bought the panasonic th50pz80U 1499.99 at fry's electonics, priced matched at circuit city. It is great

5. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

I checked this tv out at best Buy after reading good reviews, but it looked like crap. Went to American Furniture and Electronics today and it looked better there. Did it look good out of the box? Did you tweak the settings? Any other impressions? I'm debating between this plasma and a samsung LCD

6. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

good to see you still hang around.

7. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

8. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

I ended up buying the TH46PX85U and I LOVE it. I even got Circuit City to match amazon.com's price.

9. David02

David02 Guest

Plasma TV's are typically cheaper than LCD's, unless you get a Pioneer which is the top of the line plasma.
    I would recommend you look at Panasonic plasma TV's. They are the best bang for the buck TV you can buy these days. Only reason I would recommend an LCD over a plasma is if your family room has lots of windows/natural light. LCD's are better at handling glare than Plasma is, but that is just about the only thing they do better.

Currently, the only technology available in flat panel models are plasma and LCD. DLP TV's are rear projection, and will take up more space than a flat panel but can be found in larger screen sizes for less money.

10. Zeromancer

Zeromancer Pampita's Love Slave

I still love my Panny 42" 720p 60u
    [​IMG]