GUN Recommend me some holsters for a Glock 19...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sprite, Mar 16, 2006.

1. sprite

sprite Active Member

I'm just looking for a good open-carry belt holster that I can wear at the range, and that would be appropriate for use in a defensive/tactical pistol training course. I'll probably be getting a magazine holster too... they all look pretty much the same but if there is a particular brand/features to look for let me know. TIA...

2. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i was going to say comp-tac ctac but you want an outter band

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

Yeah, I don't have concealed carry permit yet so I don't really need a super slim or IWB. Plus, it seems like most classes (unless its a CCW specific class) want you to have a regular OWB belt/paddle holster.

4. Bdog

Bdog ...but do I really care?

Serpa CQC is the fastest, safest holster I have.

[​IMG]

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

alessi leather
    tuckergunleather
    milt sparks
    comp-tac if you like plastic

Those are my picks for the best manufacturers.

6. timmy8151

timmy8151 New Member

7. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

i like my fobus paddle

its A ok for the range

8. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

plus its cheap

9. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

Comp-Tac paddle holster. I like the FBI cant myself, but you could get the adjustable one too.

http://www.comp-tac.com/ct_paddle.html

10. sprite

sprite Active Member

That comp-tac paddle looks pretty good... I thought they only made IWB's. Looks like it rides pretty tight, and is mid-priced. How is the retention on those? Looks pretty low in the front...

11. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

If you want a kydex paddle holster I like the Blade-Tech one. You can also get the belt style one, they are both about $20 at cactustactical.com

12. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Comp-Tac belt, Kytac, Blade Tech

13. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Talon Tactical

14. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

The tension is adjustable.... :dunno: I like mine...

15. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

Uncle Mikes Kydex.. for $16 you can't beat it.

if you got the money, go sidearmor, comptac, or blade-tech

16. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

it is actually very safe.. just slide your finger over the button while unholstering, like you would naturally do anyway, and that releases the retention..

if someone just walks up and tries to grab your gun, it wont come out

17. sprite

sprite Active Member

There were a couple of instances where people shot themselves with Glocks while drawing from that holster. Basically the keep pressure on the "button finger" as the drew the weapon, once their finger cleared the holster it would slip into the trigger guard and bang! Operator error and a ND, but still...

18. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

well those people are retards :hsughno:

19. Bdog

I was thinking the retention is better than a open holster that just has a tight fit to hold it in.

20. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

when the introduced the g17 to the aussie cops, they had 5 or 6 of them shoot themselves in the foot... :rofl:

must have been tough going from wheel guns to semis for australia's finest... :o

21. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

No, the holster is a faulty design on two counts.

Number one, it puts the release finger in an improper position on the draw, leading to an increased number of ND's. You can blame it on poor handling, and believe me, I'm the first person to bitch at people for poor handling, but I've drawn from one just to see for myself. It puts your finger in the wrong spot. Bad design.

Number two, the release gets jammed. Small dirt, big dirt, lint, whatever. That release gets jammed with crud, and WILL NOT release. You can't push the button, you can't get your pistol out. Faulty design, and more deadly than the first problem, because if you can't shoot yourself, you definitely can't shoot your adversary, and he will shoot you while you fiddle-fart around with your holster.

Number three, and this has been fixed with the LATEST iteration of the holster, the hardware holding the holster to the shroud/belt mount/etc. sucks. While yanking on your pistol because it is stuck in there from the button not working, you are likely to rip the whole holster off the belt mount because the hardware is less than sturdy. As stated, the LATEST models have fixed this, but if you have an older one, or the store you buy one from tomorrow hasn't updated their inventory in a few months, you're buying a three-time piece of shit holster instead of just a two-timer.

It's a shitty holster, it's unsafe, and if you're going to buy one and use it, just be aware of these things.

All that said, Milt Sparks, Lou Alessi, Blade Tech, and Talon Tactical are the four brands of holsters I recommend. The first two are leather, and expensive, the last two are kydex, and less expensive. Talon Tactical stuff is made by Mike Benedict. He's a great dude, and will do some custom kydex for you as well if you have some odd requests or something. If you go with BladeTech, make sure you don't get their Tec-Lock or whatever it is. People have had problems with those things not holding, and either sliding around on the belt or just not staying on the belt at all. Go with normal belt loops.

22. Bdog

^

The feel and draw feel really good to me, but after you pointed out the button issue I could see a problem. If something does mess up or get stuck in the button, you can't even draw.

23. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I have the quad-mag pouch that comes with Tek-Lock and so far it isnt bad. It's adjustable to accomodate different belt widths, and it clips on hard, its a lot harder to get off than my paddle holster. But it does still slide on the belt if you use the wrong kind of belt. All in all, innovative design and seems to be well thought out but I agree that you should probably stick to tried and true regular belt loops if its going to be relied upon in an emergency.

24. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Do Alesi IWB holsters have a metal band in the mouth that keeps them open for reholstering? Milt Sparks holsters do, and it makes all the difference. It keeps you from having to use such thick leather to stiffen the holster, and also allows you to kind of adjust the level of retention by squeezing the metal in a little if you like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those are my two Milts.

25. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Left and right?

How well does it stay open when the pistol isn't in it for an hour or so?