GUN Recommend me some good hearing protection

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by mstad, Nov 5, 2009.

1. mstad

mstad New Member

Went shooting yesterday, and I'm pretty sure I ruptured my eardrum. Yes, I was wearing hearing protection, but apparently it wasn't quite enough, so now I'm ready to spend money on better shit. If you've never ruptured an eardrum before, it sucks.

2. I ruptured an eardrum once while scuba diving. It does suck.

For ear protection, I just use the cheap foam plugs. They're great at reducing sound, if you lose them it's no big deal, and they don't get in the way of a proper cheek weld.

3. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

I use surefire EP4's. But I want to add some electronic earmuffs.

4. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

what were you shooting?

i use a nice winchester headset from walmart that cost like $15. when that's not enough, i will put in the ear foams like market said PLUS use the headset

5. mstad

mstad New Member

Never been a big fan of sticking plugs in my ears, but I'm willing to try it now. I'll probably even start wearing plugs and muffs.

What about muffs? What's the deal with the electronic muffs I see?

6. sprite

sprite Active Member

Whats your budget?

I started off with Silencio muffs for 19.99 that were NRR 30 and are still the quietest muffs I own, and still double plugged with cheap foamies.

"Upgraded" to a cheap pair of Caldwell Electronic muffs that were like $40 and largely useless... didn't attentuate well and the electronics were so crappy and choppy they were practically worthless.

Now I use a $250 pair of NRR 21 rated Sordins over an $90 pair of fitted plugs. All that money and they still aren't as quiet as the $20 muff + foam plugs. But, what it did buy me was all day comfort, and the ability to carry on conversations on the range without ever removing my ear pro. Not a big benefit for a casual range trip... but a HUGE advantage at competitions (especially when I'm RO'ing) and at training classes.

7. mstad

mstad New Member

Mostly my AR, but I did blast some holes in shit with my SxS too. Shot it a bit more than I usually do, so I'm guessing that's what did it if it came from shooting at all.

8. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Regular foam plugs have always worked the best for me.

9. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i usually just wear cheap ass muffs from walmart and if i'm shooting something really loud or someone around me is i'l throw some foam plugs in my ears and then the muffs. cheap and does the trick, i can't bring myself to buy the expensive fancy muffs

10. mstad

mstad New Member

My budget is open to spending whatever I need to not end up def. I can't believe I used to shoot in the Army with no hearing protection at all.

11. mstad

mstad New Member

Looks like I'm gonna start sticking plugs in my ears. I'll just have to get used to it, no matter how much I don't like it.

12. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i don't shoot rifles much, but they always bump in to my fucking giant head sets. i have to go plugs only

13. johnson

johnson New Member

You don't like it because?

14. johnson

johnson New Member

15. mstad

mstad New Member

I just have never liked the feeling of sticking something in my ears. Call me crazy, it's just how I am.

16. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

mstad, look into getting some custom made plugs. Go to an audiologist and they can make molds of your ear canals and custom form the plug to your ear.

I work around race cars for a living and have several sets I use for that and shooting. I can wear them very comfortably all day long if needed and they will also seal out more noise than any foam plug or muffs you can get. Advantage for fit over foam is they are a hard rubber type of material so they just fit your ear canal and do not need to expand inside your ear to work.

On rare occasions when indoors next to someone shooting something like a .44 mag or something, I'll put muffs over the plugs, but normally I dont need anything but them.

Seriously, its the best way to go and you'll get used to them and be more comfortable in them than foams if you dont like the way those feel.

17. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

I have a set of Peltor H10A: http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/product/peltor-earmuffs-h10a.html

They're great, I wear them all day while driving tractors, and they're so comfortable.
    The problem some people have is that they claim they get in the way while shooting (I've never had this problem)
    [​IMG]

I've tried Keesh's electronic earmuffs, but they aren't nearly as quiet or comfortable. If you wore ear plugs underneath them, they'd probably be as quiet, and I think you can turn the volume up loud enough on them to get the benefit of the electronic stuff. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

18. mstad

mstad New Member

Sounds worth checking out. About how much should I expect to spend if I go that route?

19. mstad

mstad New Member

So with the electronic muffs, do they block out the loud noise but allow you to hear low volume stuff like somebody talking?

Probably sounds like a stupid question, but I wanna make sure I understand those right.

20. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

Yeah, they have a microphone on the outside, and you can amplify the ambient noise to whatever level you want. If anything gets over 82dB, they turn into regular ear muffs. They switch in like 5msec, so it's practically instant.
    If the batteries run out, they also turn into regular ear muffs

21. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

I used to have better than average hearing as a kid, but i'm sure some of that has gone away now.

Anyway, I like my hearing a lot, so I always double up on cheap foamies + electronic hearing.

If you do electronic, you get what you pay for. The Peltor 6S ($65-$80) is the cheapest quality hearing pro, but it has exposed electronics facing your ear... so the moisture of your useage might mess up the electronics over time. I eventually started getting clipping and static in one ear, probably because i got lazy and forgot to air them out after use.

Now I have Peltor sports ($100) and they have been quite reliable. The electronics is shielded from the moisture of the user, and the audio quality is better than the 6S. I'm looking for deals on the really good hear pro, and that's in the $200-$300 range. Too expensive for me, but if there is a good deal, i'd probably jump on it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  22. sprite

sprite Active Member

For the most part the lower end muffs "clip"... meaning the just turn off the speakers when sound goes above a certain decibel. The good ones clip quickly, the cheap ones tend to lag and get really annoying.

The more expensive muffs do digital compression.... speakers stay on all the time but it muffles the loud noises and amplifies the quiet.

There are cheap muffs that compress and expensive muffs that clip but for the most part the above holds true.

23. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I've had two pairs of the Impact Sports crap out on me over the last 4 years not to mention they have shitty sound reduction and the comfort sucks.

The Leightning L3s offer very good sound reduction and comfort as do those Peltors that Rucker posted. To eliminate hearing loss you need to double up with a good set of muffs and plugs, especially around short barreled rifles and rifles with brakes.
    Losing your hearing sucks, my dad used to be an audiologist and it's pretty depressing to see guys in their 30s and 40s come in needing hearing aids. Nobody wants to have to use them, not to mention they are expensive. Hearing protection is extremely cheap when you consider the alternative.

24. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I get them done at an audiologist that actually makes the plugs as well. Costs me about $65 per pair to have made. I sit there, they inject the material into my ear, sit there for ten minutes, it hardens, they remove it and then polish it up and make it smooth and comfy.

If the audiologist does not make them, you'll end up paying for the cost of the audiologist to make the molds, which will then be sent to someone that actually makes the plug off the mold. That can and will be more expensive cause you'll be paying for the doctors time plus the molds and then the final plug.

This is the site for the person that does mine. www.plugup.com If nothing else, I'm sure you can get info there and maybe she can help you.

I'd just start to call some audiologists locally and find out if they do it and how much. I'm sure there is someone around that can do the entire thing for you.

Also, look around at the range and find someone that has them, I see them almost everytime I'm there. Ask them where they got theirs done.

25. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

yup.

i have a pair of peltor 6s or s6 i cant remember, and i love them