recommend me my first notebook, for rendering and CAD

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mister91RT/TT, May 15, 2006.

1. Mister91RT/TT

Mister91RT/TT professional lurker

I've been looking into a desktop replacement notebook for grad school, which has to be good for 3dsmax renderings and autoCAD work (As well as multitasking with photoshop and illustrator)

so far my best find has been a 17" Acer on newegg with an intel mobile 2.0Ghz cpu, 2gb of ram for around $1900.

anybody want to fill me in on laptop processors and ram for this kind of thing?
    also are there entry level 3d/CAD cards for laptops?

it's been awhile since I was in the market for a new PC, i'm working with a p4 2.56 ghz desktop at the moment.

thanks

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

There are very few notebooks available that are good with CAD. As much as I hate Dell, this is one area of the market that they have specifically addressed, and most other manufacturers are strugling to keep up.

The Dell Precision M90 would be an excellent choice. It comes with a nVidia QuadroFX 1500M -- an excellent CAD/3DsMax card. It also uses an Intel Core Duo processor, which is an excellent choice. They range in price from $2000 to $3000. The higher-priced one has 512MB of *dedicated* video memory, a fast 2.0GHz Core Duo processor, 2GB of DDR2 memory, etc. A hard deal to beat for what you want to do.

3. Mister91RT/TT

Mister91RT/TT professional lurker

the m90 is certainly the best i've looked at so far, but at $3500 for what i'd like:
    intel coreduo t2500 2.0ghz cpu
    2gbddr2-667 sdram
    100gb 7200 HD

i'm nearly doubling my budget!
    any other suggestions? it seems that the high speed HD, 2gb Ram and a dual core CPU are what I need most for 3d rendering and CAD stuff. am I wrong?

4. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Yes, you are wrong. For what you are doing, you want to stick with something with the Nvidia Quadro graphics chipset. The downside is that most of the laptops available with that chipset are going to be very expensive... so to get what you want, you will definitely have to pay a bit more for it. Most laptops are using integrated graphics or Nvidia GeForce chipsets (or ATI Radeon chipsets).

5. Auream

Auream New Member

I don't think there'd be anything wrong with a Radeon X1600 or better class chipset if you're on a budget. Sure a Quadro is nice, but can you tell me exactly in what ways a Quadro is going to be far superior to the X1600 or an equivalent GeForce with 256MB of VRAM?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the Quadro core was DESIGNED with CAD in mind. It has the instruction sets that the ATi and GeForce simply don't have. Go talk to the makers of the software you want to use and they will do plenty of raving about the Quadro cards.

7. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Yeah.. the Radeon X1600 isn't the way to go... ATI does have a Fire XL (or something) solution that is meant for CAD, but Quadro is definitely the mainstream solution.

8. Clarity

Clarity New Member

Dude! Get a Dell!

9. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

How about not... are you going from thread to thread spreading a bunch of bs?

10. TheRider

TheRider Geeky OT Supporter

Thinkpad T60 series, look at the higher end models and they come with FireGL series cards along with the Core Duo etc... FireGL or Quadro will be your best bet if you are doing serious level cad/cam.