GUN Recommend me an AR upper

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Hathegkla, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

yeah I started another noobish ar-15 thread :o

so I'm trying to build an AR and I'm looking at complete uppers. I want a heavy Match/varmint type barrel. I like the Predator Pursuit upper but I havent been able to find one for sale yet. It's also gotta be left handed. I don't know a lot about different manufacturers so any suggestions would help out a lot.

I'm looking at 20-24" barrels right now but I'd consider going shorter. I'm not trying to build a crazy assault weapon I'm just looking to build a very accurate AR for semi long rang target shooting etc. maybe a little varmint hunting too :cool:

Price is a consideration but I'm willing to shit the dough for quality if I have to.

[​IMG]
    this thing is pure sex but a little on the expencive side :hsd:

2. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I forget if the Predator Pursuit uppers have forward assist on them. I wouldn't buy an upper without one. What distances are you looking to shoot? What kind of grouping is really satisfactory, would "hunting accuracy" suffice? That kind of "all-out" upper is nice, but it may be way more than you really need.

Left handed uppers, you are looking at Stag AFAIK.

3. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

I'm most likely getting a stag lower but I wasn't too excited about the uppers I've seen so far. are there really that few people that make them?

well I'd say 100 yards? it depends if I go to the range it'd be a lot closer but when I go out to the desert (Mojave) I'll shoot up to 200 yards or more (depending on the gun). I guess I don't need anything that nice but I'm looking for something thats gonna preform well at range.

4. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Well, your best bet might be getting a stag left handed upper and bolt that isn't together yet, getting the barrel, gasblock, and handguard you want put on it at a gunsmith.

5. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

hmmm, this isn't something I could do my self? I was looking at the Stag Arms Left-Handed A3 Flattop Upper Assembly. they sell a gassblock (but if I got a thicker barrel I'd need a larger one?). I'm trying to avoid going to a gun smith but I guess if I really want a left handed AR with a match barrel I might have to.

6. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Getting the barrel into the upper is a PITA without the jig and tools gunsmiths use for the task.

7. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

hmmm well I'm specing out parts right now. how much do you think that would cost?

8. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

No clue. I went and bought a S&W M&P15 off the shelf for a great deal.

It looks like Stag doesn't sell just the upper and bolt with no barrel by themselves. If you wanted a left-handed upper, it looks like you would need to buy a whole one. Someone else might know more about this than I do.

9. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

http://store.stagarms.com/catalog/p...d=123&osCsid=bde3fee42471d55afb372945499d675a

:bigthumb:

I e-mailed pk firearms about a left handed Predator Pursuit (which doesn't exist) but they offered to build me an upper using the Stag Arms left handed upper and a river rock 24" Varmint stainless barrel. the barrel goes for 290 with gas block and I think the uppers go for 180ish so out the door I'm most likely looking at 500-600, same price as the Rock River upper I was looking at :bowdown:

10. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Oh snap, I stand corrected! :bigthumb:

11. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Brass deflectors are amazingly effective on every AR upper I've seen. Brass can fly all sorts of directions, but it's always in the forward direction.

12. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

why gotta be lefty? just add ambicatch, ambisafety and ambi-charging handle and youre good to go :o

13. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Save for that pesky forward assist. Arguably, if you need to use it often enough that its being on the wrong side is inconvenient, you have other problems...

14. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

exactly :o

15. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

yeah, I'm basically doing it because its my gun, I'm a lefty and stag makes left handed uppers so why not. I'm totally used to having shells eject on the right, my rifle and my shotgun are both right handed but if I'm gonna spend 800-900 on a target rifle I'd rather it be left handed.