A&P recommend me a Nikon

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by HardTech, Apr 9, 2005.

1. HardTech

HardTech hungry

I'm looking for a small camera that will act as a basic point and shoot with great image quality, while helping to bring out the inner photographer in me. Meaning, I need something a little more high-end than the Coolpix 2500 I have right now (not to mention it's been taking really bad pictures lately).

I've been looking at the Coolpix 5600, 5900, 7600, and 7900. I've heard some really great things about the Canon S70 and how a lot of professionals use it as their point and shoot camera, but I've always been partial to Nikon over Canon, especially after comparing image quality.

Does anybody have any experience with any of the cameras I listed? Are there any professionals who use the 7600 or 7900 and could comment on them?

Thanks

I'm a college student too, so no D70 recommendations yet.

2. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

Well Nikon is coming out with a sub d70 ie the d50 at the end of april, that might be something to consider

3. mojito

mojito New Member

Holy jumping on a bandwagon that doesn't yet exist batman. Please wait until there is actual prrof, specs, estimated delivery date, an official announcement or osmething more than a confirmed rumor before reccommending a camera. Thats like me saying to wait till the next supra comes, which we all know isn't anytime soon.

Pros aren't going to be using a prosumer cam. They may use them for a pocket cam (I use a G6) but not for their daily use.

What do you want it to do, you have lots of different types listed. The 5700 has been a classic cam for them, while the 8700 and newer 8800 are their most advanced prosumer cams.

What types of cameras did you compare image quality too? And who'se pictures did you compare?

4. HardTech

HardTech hungry

that will probably be a little out of my price range... the absolute maximum I am looking to spend is $400, with my ideal price range between $250-$300

5. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

sheeesh take it easy did you even read what I posted

I said it MIGHT be something to consider, next time before jumping on my nuts please read a bit more slowly

6. mojito

mojito New Member

alright, thats a start, now what specs are you lookig for? Big zoom, advanced features, more point and shootish, compact, battery tpe etc

7. mojito

mojito New Member

i did read and there is nothing more than a confirmed rumor. Please look at Nikon's announcemnts in their past. Until theres actually something to discuss it whould be left alone. Otherwise we'll be measurebating a cam that doesn't exist and people will be waiting for something they don't even know what it'll do (see every Nikon DSLR model to date for proof)

8. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

Like I posted in the other thread, Nikon already confirmed that the camera will be out by the end of april

I know what you mean and I believe you are correct, yes Nikon has a big history of taking forever to deliver a camera, but maaybe this is actually a good change? They see Canon taking the lead and are actually doing something to help their image?

9. mojito

mojito New Member

it will not be on any shelf by the end of april, they'll confirm it by the end of april, in theory

That would be like having the summers new blockbuster movie randomly showing up at a theater without any marketing, it just doesn't happen

the D2hs that was announced in feb is brealy become available, and its on the same platform as the origianal that was discontinued months ago, and wasn't really an upgrade and didn't see any sensor changes

10. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

um they already confirmed it

first that it existed after the manuals were leaked
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0503/05033105nikond50real.asp

And now they confirmed a release date

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05040802nikondslrs.asp

But once again I believe you are correct, nikon's history is one of taking their time, I would like to see the cameras by the end of april and it seems they are taking a more aggresive stance on delivering them faster, we'll have to wait and see.

11. mojito

mojito New Member

"Nikon would not reveal any of the D50's specifications and features"

I'm sure it'll go through rigorus testing if they plan to ship it this year :greddy:

Look at what happened when Kodak tried to rush their pro model (based on an F5) to compete with the 1Ds, it flopped faster than water world did in theater. they had to debug it for over a year before it was useable to pros. :rolleyes:

nikon wants to nip the XT in the bud, but if they aren't careful, this could easily be their last stand. I'm not saying it will be, but they're on thin ice

12. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

doesnt really matter, the manuals already show all the details, it looks like its basically a simpler d70 ala rebel

Same sensor similar body

13. mojito

mojito New Member

was teh D70 ever to complicated? :dunno:

14. HardTech

HardTech hungry

I want something that produces great images, has a good battery life, and is portable.

I believe the camera it was being compared to was an old S220 or S300 or something like that. These weren't professional images, just some snapshots I took on a vacation.

I might just end up getting the S70, though. After looking at some reviews, while the image quality of the foreground on the Nikon was better, the Canon had better image quality around the whole picture... images were a little clearer in the background.

I don't know.. I might not even be able to afford a decent camera. I'm just getting ideas, and was hoping somebody with one of the newer Nikon models would chip in their .02

I think the Canon G-series are a little too bulky for my tastes, and I'd rather get the S70 over the G6.

15. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I have a 4300 coming. It's nice a thin, takes good pictures. What more do you need.

16. HardTech

HardTech hungry

ok, I narrowed my selection down to these two cameras:

Nikon Coolpix 7600
    Canon S70

The Nikon is about $380, and the Canon is about $410, both not including shipping.

The Nikon uses SD, which my PDA uses, but the Canon uses CF

I like the looks of the S70 better, and I think it is aimed more at amateur to professional market. I'm not so sure about the Nikon, though... thoughts?

17. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

i say if youre looking for compact digitals, go with the canon

18. HardTech

HardTech hungry

ok, the Nikon isn't going to released until May 1, so that's out of the question. I want a digital camera to take to my cousin's wedding on April 30th

I guess the comparison is between the Nikon 5600 and the Canon S70 now. The Nikon 5600 uses AA batteries, which I don't really like.

I guess I'm going with the Canon S70

19. mucky

mucky .

If you can handle the rebate, I would highly suggest taking a look at the Olympus C-7000. It has received great reviews and Olympus does make very good P&S camaras, and to most extent, I think this is a better camera than the Canon S70 especially in terms of color accuracy and sharpness

http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?ref=dealtime&sku=OMC7000

Reviews:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/c7000.html
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C7000/C7KA.HTM
    http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/oly-c7000/c7000-gen.php

20. HardTech

HardTech hungry

I couldn't afford the S70, and ended up going with a Nikon Coolpix 5900

from what I read, it has great image quality and everything I'm looking for in a digital camera. There aren't really any in-depth reviews on the internet yet. Does the digital camera get better as the model number goes up? Like, the 5900 > 5600 > 5200?

Thanks