Recommend me a motherboard v.coreduo

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Neuman, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Neuman

Neuman New Member

Core 2 Duo E6400
    Corsair XMS 2 gigs (2x1gig)
    GeForce 7600GT
    Seagate 320 gig SATA drive

Looking for a motherboard under $200. 680i chipset looks nice. Not a gamer, don't need something that overclocks to the exxxtreme! just looking for something that won't take a lot of fooling around with to get it to boot up the first time, and will be something i can put future upgrades into (see quadcore, etc).

Thanks for any input!

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

3. Neuman

Neuman New Member

well....is there older chipsets that are still highly recommended? im tossed back and forth about 680i because on one hand it's the newest....seems to have solid capabilities...and should last for a while. on the other hand i've heard a lot of complaints about the SATA support, and having to flash the bios to newest/bata versions to have it run best. *shrugs*

on newegg i cant find a decent board that has a 5 star review. any of the newer stuff in my price range gets really good reviews but then has several people complaining about it, DOA, whatever.

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Do you plan on doing SLI at any point? If not, it gives you some great options. The Intel 965 chipset is excellent.
    I went with a micro-atx Intel board that has solid as a rock stability.

It's the media series BOXDG965OTMKR, and it has everything but the kitchen sink on it,
    including 8 channel audio and support for Dolby Home Theater and also onboard firewire.

They're $130 at zipzoomfly.com and unless you need extra pci slots or want to do SLI, it will do everything.

And as extra slots go, it's not so bad.
    It has a pci express x 1 slot and two normal pci slots.

Now if you want to overclock, that changes the picture a bit.
    Intel boards aren't known for being good at overclocking. Although
    I read about a highend 975 board that does pretty good.

Other than that though, there's decent boards form Abit, Asus, DFI, eVga, Gigabyte, Intel, and Msi just off the top of my head.

A lot depends on how much you would like to spend, but I would highly recommend the 965 chipset.

5. Arya Stark

Arya Stark Resident Celebrity OT Supporter

You can get MSI 965 Platinum for roughly $135 or MSI 975x for around $165 Platinum Power Up, both boards have great reviews from tomshardware.com.

I personally am going with eVGA 680i board even though many consumers are having problems with them and hopefully I won't :x:

6. Strife

Strife Active Member

I went with an Asus p5b deluxe and it's been perfect. Some of the reviews say they got dead MOBOs but theres always a few bad ones it seems in most MOBOs. It's a good board though, has tons PCI slots and is SLI ready, it's around $190.

Just make sure you get correct ram that either has the recommended timings or is on their quality assurance list. I had no problem with the bios and its a good board if u want to overclock.

Only negative thing I found was the onboard sound is shit, I had to throw down $30 on a good 7.1 soundcard without all the other gimmicks, it had 5 stars on newegg and was good for sound, which is all I needed.