Recommend me a Monitor.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gob, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Gob

Gob Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore do OT Supporter

Well, yesterday my old 22" Viewsonic CRT crapped out. Now I need a new monitor for work. I'm looking for something in a 22" Widescreen around the $300 dollar range, any suggestions?
    Aside from general office work (Word processing, spreadsheets etc...) I tend to do quite a bit of work with photography/imagery, if that alters your recommendations at all.

2. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

All the 22" monitors in the $300 range use 6-bit panels that aren't all that great when it comes to color reproduction. Something like the Dell 2407WFP-HC with the wider color gamut is better suited for photo editiing. But, it costs $600.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

dell started with a decent panel for reviews and swapped to the cheaper panels for selling to consumers.

they're junk.

4. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I can agree here, my buddy is big into photography and we were looking at some of his pictures on a friends dell widescreen lcd and they looked like complete shit compared to what they look like on his lcd.

5. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

The panel lottery only affected the 20" widescreen model. The 24" models appear to all use the same panel. And, it wasn't really a swap. They just started to source the panels from 2 different manufacturers. They are still making the 20" model with the prefered S-IPS panel. Either way, you still got a true 8-bit panel from Dell, not crappy 6-bit TN panels that other manufacturers use.

Currently, Samsung is playing the lottery game with the 22" 226BW with the "A", "C" and "S" panels. Samsung sells this monitor with either a panel they made themselves or one that they outsourced to another manufacturer. The "S" panel that they manufacture appears to have better color and response characteristics, but you don't know which one you've purchased until you open the box.

6. michelin man

michelin man IDB Construction

like my dell 24"

-think its the 2405