Recommend me a good Router

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DatacomGuy, Jan 3, 2003.

1. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I typically own at level-1 stuff, but I need some help finding a cheap DSU/CSU router for a small office job I was awarded today.

They are trying to save money as much as possible. Here is the scenerio, recommend me a good router/solution.

Telemarketing company, with 5 T1 lines. 4 T1's are being used for voice. 1 T1 is just sitting there, doing absolutely nothing. They wish to use that T1 for internet access.

Naturally, I will need a DSU/CSU for accessing the T1. I need to find a cheap solution with one port in from the DS access card and one port out to a workgroup switch.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for CHEAP. Don't care about brand. I plan on taking your suggestions and going to eBay for them, so save us all some money. I was looking into the NetTopia solution, but it's cheapest DSU/CSU router is 859 at my cost. That's about $700 too much then I wanted to spend. ;)

How is Webramp? Is their solution DSU/CSU enabled?

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

IBBalzzsayscisco

3. Balzz

Balzz Guest

I already read the post and didn't reply cos Cisco doesn't fit his needs. :p

4. DatacomGuy

Agreed. I already have looked into Cisco, but the solutions are too expensive and too involved. I don't need all those features, especially WAN and WIC support.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I could probably, I guess, grab an Adtran DSU/CSU, and just piggy that into the back of the router. I have a Linksys router laying around. Could I just use the Linksys with an Adtran? Thoughts?

5. reverse

reverse hooooooooo

When do you need one by? I may have a netopia for sale within the upcoming weeks that would work fine on your T1.

6. DatacomGuy

Fairly soon.

I went to the site this evening to scope out the closet some more, and behold - an Adtran! There is an Adtran TSU 600e already at the site. It is setup for voice for the time being, but I can switch it over to data setup. Here is my new question:

Can I use a regular router now with the Adtran DSU/CSU unit already in place? Like a Linksys? I know you router guys are out there. ;) Balzz?

7. Balzz

Balzz Guest

Nope, Linksys won't work. The CSU/DSU doesn't convert T1/PRI to ethernet. You might wanna take up reverse's offer...he throws in free hugs! :big grin:

8. DatacomGuy

Well poop. So the Adtran is basically useless for data then? I'm gunna go download the manual and check it out.. there is a 10/100 labelled jack on the back of it. So there has to be some type of solution without spending too much.

What role does the CSU/DSU play? I was under the impression that it DID convert the T1 to ethernet, but obviously am wrong.

9. DatacomGuy

According to the manual,

:dunno:

10. Balzz

Balzz Guest

Cool, guess that model does do it.

11. DatacomGuy

Heh, I guess so.

What's next? ;)

What does this port go to? To a router, or does it just go straight to a the switch...

12. Balzz

Balzz Guest

Router.

Has the telco already set that T1 up as a data T1?

13. DatacomGuy

I don't believe so. That's on my to-do list. Call them with the circuit number and find out how this T1 is configured from their end. Right now they are using 3 of the lines within the T1 for voice. I believe all of the lines were used in the past for voice, and just aren't used now, so I'm assuming its setup for voice only.

That's something setup on their end, correct? Also, can the lines be setup for both, or is one vs. the other..?

EDIT: Also, you say router. Router still has to be able to handle T1, right? Can't just be a Linksys SOHO type.. still need a Netopia, Cisco, etc kind of deal right?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2003
  14. Balzz

Balzz Guest

See, I'm a little confused as to the 10base-t connection. Usually, it's a serial interface (eg. V.35) to a router. Is the ethernet connection on the CSU for management purposes perhaps?

It's been a long long time since actually configuring T1s, but I believe if you order a PRI, you'll be able to combine voice and data. I've never configured a robbed-bit T1 for data before.

15. DatacomGuy

Neither have I. That's the problem. :big grin:

I will read into the manual some more to find the purpose of the 10baseT connection. It is possible that it's for management.. SNMP perhaps.. I'll find out. Still a tad lost on this one, but Literature and reading is my savior. ;)

16. Balzz

Balzz Guest

And if all fails, blame it on the guy in the office who doesn't speak English. :big grin:

17. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I hate to hijack your thread, but that reminded me of something.

Back in HS I was in an intro to VB programing class. We had this kid from India that didn't speak any english. Anyway somebody got the admin's password for Novell and in turn found out the Indian kids login number and password. He loged in as him and sent about 300 pages to the in class laser printer.

The teacher saw the printer and went in a looked at the print queue. She goes over and starts yealing at the Indian kid. He kept saying "I do nothing, I do nothing."

:rofl:

18. DatacomGuy

19. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:rofl: That's damn funny. Of course, at my school they wouldn't care, since we pay 5 cents a page and they steal our leftover printing money at the end of the year (fuckers).