Recommend me a good file recovery program v. RIP itunes :wtc:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by niquesuave06, May 27, 2008.

1. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I think I accidently deleted about 90% (~30gb) of my itunes library on my MBP this morning :hs: My music folder was way too messy, and I went on a half-asleep deleting spree this morning before work in order to free up some space on the HD. I somehow ended up deleting a folder with a good chunk of the music I wanted to keep :wtc:

I realized what I'd done almost immediately and stopped using the computer, so I'm hoping I can recover some of the files? I've never tried to recover deleted files before, so if anyone can offer advice and/or recommend a good, and preferably free, file recovery program I would really appreciate :hs:

Cliffs: Scan over the files in the trashcan before you empty it :o

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Get a 2nd machine to do the recovery from and attach the machine via Target Disk Mode. There are no free programs that I'm aware of. The $80 or so you pay for a decent data recovery program should be worth the time and money invested in all that stuff you lost. Plus it will come in handy to have in the future.

3. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

Thanks :bigthumb: I'll have to wait till my buddy with a MB gets back into town next week, but I'll try recovering the stuff at that point.

I went home at lunch and luckily I was able to find my external HD that I thought I'd lost when moving, and it had about a 5 month old backup of my music on it. I'm still missing a decent amount of newer stuff, but I'm a lot better off than I was this morning :mamoru:

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Good current backup is better then any file recovery program. I know it's a pain to do the backups all the time but when you really need them, the value in the time it takes to make them is apparent.

5. Euclid

Euclid New Member

I used a program called Data Rescue II ($99), it seemed to do a pretty good job. It is important that you power off the machine ASAP after deleting and don't use it again until you turn it on in firewire target disk mode to do the data recovery.

6. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

mfdot