GUN recommend me a decent low-light scope?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AVengeance, Dec 3, 2009.

1. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

I bought a fairly cheap Simmons 3-9 x 50 to go with my AR15 back in '01 or whenever I bought it. For the price, it's been a really good scope. I spent about $75 on a 40mm obj. scope (don't remember the brand offhand, but not the same as my other one) for my Rem. 7615, and I think it totally sucks. I have to get at an exact position or I can't see anything through the scope. The 40mm obective doesn't pick up light like I need for post-dusk / pre-dawn shooting, and it has a hokey lighted dot which I don't need or even want.

I've been looking at OpticsPlanet, and they don't really have them sorted any useful way for my search.

Can I find a scope with >50mm objective lens? If not (and most likely NOT from my searches so far) what's a decent (read: under $500) light-gathering riflescope?

Thanks!

2. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Leupold 6x42

No shit.

3. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

A bigger obj alone isn't going to give you great low light performance, but it will have a lot of concessions attached.

4. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Concessions?

I hear Leupold optics are really nice.

I'm just a little pissed I spent MORE money on my new scope that turns out not to be as good as my old cheap Wal-Mart scope that's 10 years old. How disappointing. Anyway... so I'm willing to spend some money again, but I want to do it right, which is why I'm here in the Wisdom of Mayhem Direction forum.

5. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

That's quite the compliment, but sadly it actually stands for Wasted My Dollars subforum

6. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

and if you spend enough time in here, YOU WILL TOO! you have been warned

7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

There isn't going to be anything under a benny that would likely be worth a fuck.

Leupold is my default for rifle optics. Their higher end stuff gets shit on a lot by the tactical guys (and perhaps rightfully so), but IMO the VX-III 3.5x10x40 and the 6x42 (both with M1 turrets) are some of the best GP glass available.

Huge optics (especially huge cheap optics) generally suck for a myriad of reasons. On paper they seem like great deals to the unknowing...... put into practice and anyone with a clue will quickly realize their shortcomings (as you have already done so). Generally speaking eye relief, eye box "friendliness", FOV, erector travel and repeatability, size, ruggedness, and mounting options are shitty at best.

When trying to save money (and 9/10 times otherwise) less is more. Bank on a friendly to use scope, repeatable adjustments, and a form factor you can work with more than adjustable everything, Christmas light reticles, and trying to collect X's. You will be guaranteed to be money ahead.

You would be waaaay ahead of the game by lowballing this guy, and sending the scope off to Leupold for M1 turrets:

http://ee.ar15.com/ItemView.aspx?iid=37141

8. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

That's only for the mall ninjas
    (no offense, Mall Ninja)

:mamoru: