Recommend Me A Color Laser Printer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PUREVIL, Sep 22, 2006.

1. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

Recently my inkjet printer took a shit on me so I threw it out my office. So now im thinking about a reliable color laser printer. A friend recommended Brothers, copy, fax, scanner, color laser. He said hes had his for a while with no problems. But I thought I'd ask the OT collective for their opinion. Thanks.

2. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

I'm happy with my CLJ2600 at home.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Does anyone know what color lasers last more than 100k copies? My dad had an Okidata. The drums are designed for about 100k copies and then must be replaced. The problem is that they cost almost as much as a new printer. I have a HP B&W laser and the drum is part of the toner cartridge so you never get hit with a huge replacement cost all at once.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

My office has a Xerox Phaser 6200. It matches color very well (it's a PostScript printer) and it prints semigloss on regular paper.

Technically, it uses some plasticky stuff instead of color toner, but that doesn't matter much because the print quality is fantastic. The best inkjets can still beat its resolution on glossy photo paper, but for day-to-day printing it's a great printer. It even prints two-sided without any extra equipment.

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

One of the big computer mags rated the Dell 3000cn as best in it's class.

Most pages per cartridge, and cheapest toner refill.

Now the 3100cn is out, but I don't know if it's an update of the same printer or not.

6. vwgeekdotcom

vwgeekdotcom Silver Surfer

We have 2 Minolta/Konica Magicolor 2400's here and I never have any issues with them, they are fairly inexpensive, I think staples always has a rebate and one can be had for less than 300.00 usually.

7. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

We have a couple 3100cn's and they have worked great. Fast, reliable and have yet to refill any of them...

8. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

The Phasers are badass but they're fucking expensive.

9. deusexaethera

It is expensive, but it will never break.

That's the reason why inkjets are more popular in the first place, really. Laser printers last longer than most people need them to, and buying one is a huge initial investment. Until all printers can produce printouts with no visible grain at all (provided that the source is high enough resolution, of course), there's really no point in buying a printer that will last for twenty years because the technology will just keep advancing and your printer will become obsolete in a couple of years.

10. Schproda

Schproda New Member

Phasers are the stuff. They're expensive and hard to get worked on if they're not authorized. HP makes some consumer levels, such as the 2500, but I wouldn't really go that route. I'd go for a better one. I don't believe Dell makes their own printers either. Someone told me Lexmark cartridges will fit them also.

11. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Don't know if it's still true, but Dell printers used to be rebranded Lexmarks.

12. deusexaethera

I think they still are. Lexmark isn't too bad, but I don't like (and never will like) the stupid little card readers they build into their printers. If I take digital photos, I'm damn well going to edit them in Photoshop before I print them.

13. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Who gives a shit about a card reader when they sue a generic ink cartridge company under the DMCA.

Fuck Lexmark, Fuck Dell.

14. dunno but epsons great printer compnay, one of the best

15. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

I found a Xerox Phaser 8500 at staples for 899 plus a 400 rebate. Good/bad? I did a search for color laser, but it says its a solid ink? I better do more search.

16. deusexaethera

Like I said, the Xerox Phasers use some kind of plastic stuff to print with, instead of powdered toner. I use one every day at work and it's a great printer. If you're going to keep it for ten years or so (which is entirely doable), it's well worth the investment.

Except for photos. Nothing beats inkjet for printing photos.