A&P Recommend me a cheap camcorder (miniDV vs miniDVD? minoHD?)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by 95vr4, Apr 10, 2009.

1. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

My brother has his private pilots license and we go flying about once a month. I'd like a decent (but more importantly, cheap :)) video camera to take a little bit better videos.

[y]exmAtNLOUSs[/y] [y]Egi9t06jYdM[/y]

^^I'm using my Canon Powershot SD1000 right now (640x480, 30fps), I guess the Videos are actually pretty decent for an ultra compact still cam, but still :o

I didn't realize camcorders were so dirt cheap now. That flip minoHD looks interesting, but it doesn't have an audio in jack. I'd like to be able to plug in to the planes headset jack so you can hear air traffic control/talking/etc. Ultra compact isn't really that important to me either.

My budget is ~$150 for now (baller, I know :o)

TigerDirect has a Canon ZR900 miniDV (refurb) for $130. I'm a big Canon fan as far as still cameras
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4488063&CatId=3357

Am I going to do any better than that? I also don't mind buying used, ebay/craigslist/etc, (in fact I'd almost prefer used....more bang 4 the buck). Any other recs?

2. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

3. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

I don't think a cheap DV cam will give you better than 640x480 quality

4. eighteen_psi

MiniDV records in 720x480, 25mbps, and yeah, the quality will be way higher than any tiny-sensor p&s still camera's movie mode. There's a whole lot more to image quality than resolution. Like you have a better, sharper lens, and proper exposure functionality, more color information. Among other things.

edit: you're kinda screwed either way at night though without something much more expensive.

5. TheManLouisianaFace

wrong a cheap $150 dv cam has a shitty lens, and a 680K sensor.

my 10mp p&s that does 720HP h.264 looks 100x better on a computer screen.

6. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

i have an old Sony TRV-10 (minidv) that's great. it'll let you plug in an external mic or even a second camera (bullet camera, etc)

i also have a new Canon HG10 (hdd, hd) which is awesome.

7. TheManLouisianaFace

You can rent HV10/HV20's

8. eighteen_psi

Mine has a great lens and a 1/3" pickup. The ZR has a garbage lens and a 1/6" pickup.

The resolution doesn't make nearly as much difference as you think it does...same as it doesn't with a still camera. Resolving power comes from your glass, not your sensor density. Your sensor is dense & noisy, small so you have no depth of field control, you don't have optical IS (probably), among plenty else.

And h.264 is a weak intermediate (editing) codec...its a delivery codec. Which mirrors the purpose of a p&s cam's video: Shoot it and dump it to youtube.
    A camcorder is the tool for this job, and a quality DV cam on the used will easily outshoot any p&s. The ZR probably will too if you know what you're doing (though it gives up most of the advantages I listed being a strictly entry level cam).

Is not a bad idea, however. The HVs are spectacular cameras given their size/price. They're what replaced the market my optura occupied when it was new.
    Many pros building rigs around these things for commercial work.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009