A&P Recommend me a backpack and a tripod v. but its not quite that easy...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by niquesuave06, Mar 17, 2008.

1. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

First off, I'm looking to buy a decent tripod as well as a satchel/backpack/whatever to hold my photo gear while hiking. . .I'll hopefully be doing quite a bit of hiking for work in the next few months, and I'd like to be able to carry my D40x w/ 18-55 kit lens, 70-300mm, one flash, a tripod, and a notebook/pens.

Ideally I want quick and easy access to my camera without having to take off the bag/backpack, and I'm willing to sacrifice some storage capacity for that (I'd love to have the option of carrying my MBP and/or Nikkormat 35mm film camera, but I know that a single bag can't be good for all situations :hs: )

As for the tripod, I'm open to suggestions. I looked at a Bogen/Manfrotto setup the other day, 190XB legs with an 808RC4 head, and I liked it, any opinions on that combo? I do a fair amount of long-exposure shots so sturdy is a must, and I don't mind if the tripod has a little weight to it. I can always leave it in the car if I don't think I'll need it that day.

I haven't mentioned my budget yet, because this is where things kind of get interesting. . .I have a $150 B&H gift card and a $150 gift card to a local photography store (their prices are a little higher, but to make things easy just assume they're the same as B&H), which I'd be willing to supplement with up to ~$200 cash. Obviously the cheaper the better, but at the same time I'd rather pay more now and not have to look for a replacement in a year.

Now, any recommendations?! :x:

2. Spurious

Spurious New Member

The Fastpack 350? This will be like the 3rd time in 2 days I've recommended it, but it's the only full backpack that holds a notebook (computer) I know of that lets you pull the camera out without taking it off.

The only thing it doesn't have is a tripod system, but you could get an additional tripod bag and attach it to the Fastpack with very little fuss.

3. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

It looks perfect, I'll have to see if anyone local has one in stock that I can go check out in person :bigthumb:

How would I go about attaching a tripod bag, though? I don't know anything about this stuff :o

4. Spurious

Spurious New Member

There's no specific way, I don't guess. But the way I saw it in my head was just feeding the tripod handle through both straps and letting it hang at the bottom.

[​IMG]