Recommend me a 44-pin IDE SSD.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, May 6, 2009.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's going into a laptop, so upgrading to SATA isn't an option. 64GB is probably more than I'll ever use in that machine, but it's the lowest common SSD size that is larger than what I know I need. Suggestions?

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

newegg only shows 5 PATA 44 pin SSD's and the biggest one is 32GB.

I don't recall ever seeing anything that big for IDE.

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

4. daviid

daviid cell tower tech

are you sure your laptop is ide? i had one laptop that was a sata drive. im not sure what this one is though

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The idea was to replace the internal hard drive.

David, I know it's IDE because I removed the disk a while back so I could check. I've considered getting a slim SATA-to-IDE adaptor, but I haven't checked to see if there is enough clearance for that.

The machine in question is a 1.x GHz P4 Sony VAIO. HD Tune is reporting a burst speed of 62MB/s, which is pretty good, but the sustained speed is down in the 20MB/s range, which displeases me. It's got a GB of RAM, a full P4 not a Celeron, and a dedicated ATi video card, so considering its age it's a pretty damn good laptop. I just want it to boot faster.

I found this on Newegg, but it's not in stock until tomorrow (not like I can't wait a day): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208431. The reviews seem to be favorable among people who used it to speed up older laptops.

Last edited: May 11, 2009