Recommend GOOD WWII books

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by V, Dec 1, 2003.

1. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

title says it all. im looking for recommendations on good books to read.

im mostly interested in the war in europe at the moment. im looking for good books on the allied advance from the west as well as good books on the eastern front. id like to find a good book which covers hitlers entire soviet campaign, as well as something focussing on the battle of stalingrad.

ive been to amazon and sifted through some reviews. im just wondering what you guys have to say.

when i say "good" im looking for accurate and detailed historical accounts. i dont want a political history. i wanna know about the battles and the military strategies for the various campaigns. it would be nice to include some "oral histories" which focus on certain companies or soldiers and what not, but i dont want a book which focusses too much on this kind of thing so that it detracts from the historical events unfolding at the time.

ive read "900 Days" and seen "Band of Brothers" and am currently reading "Army at Dawn"

this is soo the wrong forum to post this :sad2: but heres hoping someone else has an interest in this :x:

2. :: hmk ::

:: hmk :: Guest

all's quiet on the western front

3. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Sgt. York (movie was good, there's probably a book out).

4. Mulsanne

Mulsanne The Man = Funk Fusion Chaos

Not exactly what you're looking for but still an awesome book. "The Eagle Has Landed", it's about Hitler's attempt to assasinate Churchill using commandos. This attempt really happened but we don't know EVERYTHING that happened, so the author has a little note in the beginning saying it is based as closely as possible on the true story, with the blank spots filled in.

I really liked it, read it twice as a matter of fact.

5. Zee

Zee New Member

Hell...TimeLife has an excellent series out that gives you that without the BS......its more reference than anything but is FULL of WWII history...i enjoy reading it because Im sort of a history Buff :)

6. baboymo

baboymo Have you been circumcised?

Anything written by Stephen Ambrose.

7. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

i enjoyed the band of brothers hbo series, and im thinking about reading his d-day book, but ive heard pretty bad things about his book "citizen soldiers" which makes me skeptical about his other works. it seems as though he writes more about people and doesnt concern himself too much with historical facts. while i really enjoy reading all the stories about the people who were an integral part of the campaign, i would prefer that these stories dont take away from the historical aspect of the writing.

otherwise, :bigthumb: keep em coming and thanks for the recommendations so far. ill look into that bodyguard of lies book. all quiet on the western front is, however, a WWI book. i need to take on one war at a time here :)

8. :: hmk ::

:: hmk :: Guest

will be the best WW book youll read.

9. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

bump for more suggestions :cool:

10. mr jenzie

mr jenzie New Member

hunt the bismark

end

11. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

Band of Brothers.

12. dranor

dranor Guest

Military History is one of my favorite subjects.

Second World War - Keegan
    Six Armies In Normandy - Keegan
    Enemy at the Gates - Craig
    Stalingrad - Beevor

Keegan is awesome in general, I've read most of his books. Second World War is not a complete history, it details several key campaigns and battles that were turning points in the war. Battle of the Bulge, Midway, Battle of Britain, etc. Six Armies in Normandy focuses on D-Day and the ensuing campaign in France. It has chapters on the British, American, Polish, French, Anzac and German troops. Excellent.

Enemy at the Gates is a good read about Stalingrad. The movie which shares the name has little in common with the book. The characters in the film might take up three pages in sum total. Great descriptions of some of the personalities at play, and the severity and grueling nature of the Stalingrad conflict.

Band of Brothers, Citizen Soldiers, D-Day by Ambrose are good but not exactly the type of narrative you like.

I thought Atkinson was going to write additional books about the ETO (European Theater of Operations) and would love to read them. I just finished his book "Crusade" about the 1st Gulf War.

Hope this helps....

13. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

would you recommend keegans book over ambrose's D-Day? or should i read them both? i really want the first book i read about the D-Day invasion to be really good, not some fluffy narrative filled with patriotism.

its good to hear about enemy at the gates. stalingrad was the next eastern front campaign i was hoping to read about, but i was very skeptical about picking up the book after seeing the movie ( :ugh: ).

as for atkinson, the book im reading now (Army at Dawn) is by him on the north african campaign. did you mean additional books? cause based on the books title, he is planning on writing two more books in this "Liberation Trilogy" (im assuming the D-Day invasion and following campaing through france to germany, and the eastern front).

thanks for the recommendations. very helpful :bigthumb:

edit: by the way, great first post :eek3:

14. McClane

McClane Who Killed Marilyn?

thougth that was about wwi?

15. McClane

this sounds :cool:

16. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

More! :)

17. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

irwin shaw wrote several about ww II, I believe

18. McClane

Anyone know about books concerning Aircraft of WWII? Germany's experiments, etc (technologly wise - not holocaust type stuff)? Uboat warfare?

19. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

what the hell...bump again :wiggle: