GUN Recommend ear and eye protection?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by kpsmilz604, Sep 29, 2003.

1. kpsmilz604

kpsmilz604 Guest

I'm thinking of getting the Peltor H10A Professional Earmuff Hearing Protector (30 dB reduction). Don't have a clue about eye protection.

2. DRM600

DRM600 Guest

those peltors are the blue ones right? i have a pair of those and a pair of clear s&w glasses. i picked up the glasses at wally mart for like 10 bucks or something. i've no idea how good they are compared to others, but they serve their purpose.

3. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

I'm not into high quality hearing protection. I just use some of those rubber inserts.

As far as eyes, I use a pair of S&W glasses with the orange lenses. They are nice and really help brighten things up! The arms are adjustable and retract for reach if needed.

If you want high dollar shooting eyes, then take a look at Oakley.

4. OPM Inc.

OPM Inc. OT Supporter

I just picked a great pair of oakley prescription shooting glasses. Very happy with them. Only down side is that it's a bit pricey. Regardless, I dont want to lose my eyes because I want to save a couple hundred bucks. :cool:

5. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i shoot with clear lenses because tinted and colored lenses can change the color of the target, and indoors they can make things even darker. plus, i don't want to get used to some color or darkness when shooting. i'd rather shoot in actual lighting conditions. i'd recommend finding something that's scratch resistant.

6. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

i use these for eyes: http://www.lightfighter.com/item.html?PRID=1339041

ESS Ice 2.4 $31 for good quality clear, yellow, and gray lenses.

The Peltor H10A are rather bulky, but 30db is kickass sound reduction. i'd find something that was 25db or greater protection in a lower profile package if you want to shoot rifles, as bulky ears can interfer with shouldering a long gun properly.

i haven't gotten them yet, but soon... :x: Peltor COMTAC > *.earmuffs

7. OPM Inc.

OPM Inc. OT Supporter

:cool: I think ill pick up a pair of those peltor comtacs ...

8. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

My local PD uses them and i was able to try them out. i've used electronic ears before, but the clarity and just plain "realism" of their amplification is something you really need to experience to appreciate. i never thought a pair electronic ears was worth the $200+ until i tried the Comtacs.

9. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

i dont really htink its a big desicion
    i found some earphones at my local gun store, tried them on, cut down on the sound alot, then i found some glasses in the store, tried them on, they fit, i could see clearly, so i got them. its that simple.

10. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i use earplugs, but one of these days, i'm going to get some custom earplugs from my uncle, who owns a couple of beltone stores. not the electronic ones, but the kind that are still custom fitted and reduce highs and lows equally without muddying up the sound. i really want them more for band practice than shooting.