recommend a used cheap small american suv

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by kaps, Mar 6, 2006.

1. kaps

kaps :lurk: OT Supporter

Will be moving soon, instead of using a rental truck ($1800) Id rather buy something big enough to hold what shit I bring, not much. In the $3500-5000 range, as new as possible. Or tell me what to stay away from...

Been looking at Explorers/Blazers/Grand Cherokees

:x: Thanks

2. Tundra_Jim

Tundra_Jim New Member

Why are you set on american? Toyota 4-Runner is the way to go for that size suv...

3. kaps

a lot of family work for GM/Ford, plus I prefer american cars, first time for a SUV though. But Ill look into it now, Thanks

4. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

I'd get a regualr cherokee instead of a grand cherokee in that price range. You'll probably get a better one as they're not as expensive.

5. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

ibsomeonesaysford :mamoru:

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

chevy s10 blazers are cheap, and are decent rigs, in my opinion. Biggest issue I know of (besides the rattles and lackluster fuel economy) is a common hard 1-2 shift.

Great part is that resale value on these vehicles SUCKS, which is good for the potential buyer.

7. kaps

Yeah, I am more partial to a Blazer, dont know why. Dont like the explorer plus the problems I hear they have. 4runners are not for sale around me, only old school pathfinders with 200k. The new Grand Cherokees are nice but not in my price range, regular Cherokees look the same from 1772-1999. Just wondering why the blazers have bad resale, been lurking on Blazer forums for common problems, but not too many of them seem common.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i had an '01 s10 blazer 4x4 4-door. A buddy of mine had a '99 otherwise identical to mine. Mine went 80k miles before I sold it. His went 130k before he sold it. I'd consider them reliable. I had my tranny replaced under warranty due to the bad 1-2 shift. His blazer had the same problem as mine, but he didn't replace his tranny.

Rattles are going to be your biggest issue on a blazer -- which isn't bad considering. However, check that 1-2 shift on the 4L60E tranny, I'm telling you... That's the only thing that concerns me. And if you go 4x4, try to get the normal 2Hi-4Hi/4Lo and stay away from the auto-trac.