Recommend a new laptop for me. v. help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Alamo_Jake, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Alamo_Jake

Alamo_Jake Sorry I'm not sorry.

Got around $1500 to spend towards a new laptop. Can you all recommend something for me? I'm thinking about an xps :dunno:

2. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I think the XPS line is overpriced for what you get. I've had an Inspirion for the last 2 years and it's been great!!

4. Alamo_Jake

I really don't do alot of gaming (not enough time on my hands). I want something small, fits in a backpack so I can take it to class/work. Definately a lap top that will replace my desktop.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

buying a dell is a stupid idea. horrible machines.

for a $1500 budget, I'd say get a Lenovo Thinkpad T61.

6. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

If you don't game, then definitely go wth a Thinkpad.

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

For that money, and your uses of the computer, I would get a Macbook. Its small, it fits in your notebook, its instant on when you open it, has good battery life and has a better OS than windows.

Students get a $100 discount, and you get a free iPod too. Kinda nice.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

OSx *is* better than windows..... but if you're okay with Windows, you get more hardware and a better machine with the Thinkpad.

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

In this case the free iPod and the $100 discount make a pretty big difference too: Thats like $250 worth of value for him. And the ergonomics/sleekness of the Macbook are really good for pulling in/out of your bag between classes. Its small, no lines on the case to get hung, and the macbooks instant-un-sleep better than any computer I've ever used. Macbooks also help with college whores.

I mean, PC/Mac war aside: this particular guy really is a good candidate for a Macbook. For students they start at $999. He will probably want 2GB of RAM (its $90, so I would get it from Apple.com just for the warranty), and a larger HD so that puts it at more like $1200.

10. Alamo_Jake

Thanks for the help. I've considered a mac before (never had one), only thing holding me back is the changing operating systems (had a PC all my life) but I'm sure I can adjust like everyone else.

The thinkpads sound cool too, but which model would you recommend? I'm looking at the lenovo website and should I just pick one of the lower priced ones and add stuff on till I get to around $1500 or pick one that's near $1500?

11. Alamo_Jake

Great battery life would be a plus, I like typing my notes during classes and If the laptop could go w/o having to be recharged in between that would be great. 4 classes a day, each one around 1:15 = 5 hours batt life? Anyone had a Lenovo that could shed some light for me?

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Most people prefer OS X to Windows once they get used to it. In fact, that is the main reason people switch: OS X lacks most of the recurring problems people have with Windows.

13. Coottie

:rofl: @ $100 discount

I got like 20% off my Dell when I bought it through the Uni. Dell has some remarkable computers and they're rock solid regardless of what other say.

I almost didn't buy one because of the Dell hate here. But I've had mine for 2 years and it's still rockin'. Had one prob but they came to my house the next day and fixed it.

Like I said tho, I would stay away from the XPS line and go for the Inspiron line.

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

15. Coottie

You tried your mac before you bought it and IIRC you had to go without it for like a week before you got it back AND you had to take it to the store??

Where as I made one call, set the appt and BAM, they were on my doorstep the next day with parts in hand ready to fix my comp.

Not only that, I got 3 year warranty covering accidental spills, drops and other damage. It was a total of $50 with no additional charges and certainly no charge for hardware to fix whatever is broken. $50 and that's it for 3 years. That's a hell of a good warranty but then you throw in at home service and it's flat out PIMP!!

I do like the free ipod idea tho. In fact, now that I'm gainfully employed, I'm thinking about picking up a macbook to see what all the fuss is about.

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Unrelated to trying it before I bought it - my MBP has been in for service twice. I was without it for a week. It did suck. Macbooks are not exempt from the laws of physics, and do sometimes malfunction. The service is good, though.

If you're not a student, you aren't eligible for teh free iPod. :(

17. Coottie

Yeah but let's go back to the days when I was looking for a computer. You would spout, "Mac just work" or "Macs are teh best cuz the just work, they really do". And you do it at every opportunity.....never once even admitting that people had some serious problems with them.

You constantly gave the impression that they were bulletproof and rock solid machines when in fact, they're just like any other computer.

Anyways, you've changed your tune but you still had to be coaxed into admitting that. :)

:wtc:

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Macs are the most bulletproof computers available, but they are still subject to the laws of physics. They're just like any other notebook available: but better.

And yes, that means they break and people get mad. Just less so than other brands. Thats why they are taking over the notebook market.

19. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I don't think I have read any more bullshit on this board in a long time if ever.

I'd recommend a thinkpad.

20. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i have to disagree with this here. i have an Inspiron 1520 and while it is great and all, i would NEVER recommend it for what the OP is asking for. i don't know why exactly, but the 15" Dell I have feels so much heavier than the 15" MBP i had recently with identical specs. i would never consider this a portable laptop. at around 6.4lbs, it is a full pound heavier than the MBP.

if you were comparing the 13" MB to the 14" Inspiron, you'll find again that it is .4lbs or more heavier. if you want to bring this into class with you, then smaller and lighter wins.

EDIT: i think you can get a Thinkpad 14" laptop that is under 5lbs. i can't be certain since i can't find the actual specs on the lenovo site.

21. Coottie

1 lb isn't going to hurt anyone except the lightest and smallest among us.

I know because I carried around the E1705 for a full year while I was in school. It was only a pain for a week then I got used to it and don't even notice it.

It's a portable and very powerful computer and compared with a MBP price, way, way better.

So while YOU may not consider it to be a portable computer, it most certainly IS!
    Not hardly....only for someone who isn't concerned with the processing power, larger battery, bigger HD and all that. Smaller and lighter generally means trimmed down with less features.

Weight is an important consideration but it's not the sole and only consideration. Price, warranty, components these are all much more important to me than weight. Sure I'd like it if my laptop was lighter but when I got it, it was an awesomely powerful machine.

22. Coottie

FYI, the Dell 9 cell batter is what I got with my E1705. I could play games at full graphics and full brightness for almost 2 hours without needing to plug it in. If I turned down the brightness and actually tried to conserve my batteries, I could have gone much longer.

23. t8thgr8

t8thgr8 evry day im hustlin'

what about a good laptop for music production? I dont really plan on 'gaming' with it or getting on the internet or anything i just need a good processor and nice size ram. Which brands should I stay away from? Are toshiba Satellites any good? I really dont feel like blowing over a thousand on this but I hear Macs are the shit for my needs so any suggestions?

24. Alamo_Jake

So do I look into a lower priced laptop and add on features or just get an expensive one ???????

25. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If you're carrying it with you you want a quality notebook with a sleek, small design that is light and durable. You also want it to instant-on really fast. I don't know why, but that turns out to be HUGELY important. Let that guide you.