A&P Recommend a digital camera around $300

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Pvt. Joker, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Pvt. Joker

Pvt. Joker RIP Nigger Jim OT Supporter

I asked this question in OT, never realized we had a photography forum here before. Anyway, i got a wide array of recomendations from OT:

- Any Canon A series
    - Olympus Stylus Verve
    - Canon S410, S500, S60 or S70
    - Nikon 4100
    - Olympus C-765

I'm looking for a beginners camera, but i want to be able to grow with it. I don't want a point and clicker. I want the best all around camera i guess. I think I'm leaning towards either the Canon A80 or the Olympus C-765 based on reviews and what i've read on megapixel.net. I can get either of these cameras for right around $300.

2. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

you can find the canon a95 for around $300, though it generaly goes for around 400 ... sounds like exactly what you're looking for

you can go with the a85 and save a little money

3. Pvt. Joker

that was my next question. after my original post, i went to a few sites and it looked like any canon a-series camera was a great choice. i wish there was a site where you could put different cameras side by side and see what the differences are. do you know what any major differences are between the a85 and a95?

we're planning a trip to europe next year, so i definitely want to work on my photog skills before we go. i want to take a ton of pics and possibly blow some up to hang in our house.

4. ElDude

ElDude Hiya!

Would cameras in that price bracket really be good enough for blowing up pictures for hanging? I know my old camera wasn't. That being said, it was a low mp one by todays standards in that price bracket.

Hmm, I might aswell have not bothered typing that.

/gets coat

5. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

The A series is a great camera.

AXY series breakdown:

X is basically a resolution indicator:
    6=2.1MP
    7=3.2MP
    8=4.0MP
    9=5.0MP
    the 8 and 9 also including a flip out LCD vs. a fixed one.

Y indicative of the model year
    0=firstish gen
    5=second gen
    Differences are usually minimal...ie differance between A70 and A75 is the 75 includes 9point AF vs. 4point, bigger LCD, an orientation sensor and a couple extra special shooting modes.

I'd go for at least the A75 (can be had shipped to your door for ~$175), and then go up as your budget sees fit. As for learning, read up on the basics, and then head out (bring a laptop if you can) and play around with the settings and see what you can do :)

6. Savage

Savage New Member

I just bought an A85 and 512mb fast flash card for about $300, and it should arrive in a couple of days. From all the research I've done, that's the way to go. A great all-around camera with a huge memory card that allows rapid picture taking.

7. Pvt. Joker

thanks for the advice guys. I'm narrowed down to the A85 or A95. I've found the A95 for $285, but i still need a bigger card and rechargeable batteries. I think the only difference between the two is the 95 has a bigger lcd screen w/ more resolution. I really don't need that i don't think. I'm going to order it today once i make up my mind :x:

8. Pvt. Joker

from what i've read in Tomash's FAQ, the lowest you should go is like 2mp if you want to print normal sized photos. the one i'm getting is 5mp, which is probably overboard, but my wife wants to take her own pics and blow them up and hang them in our house...so we need more mp's

9. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

So what did you end up buying?

10. Danno

Danno Bronx Poodle OT Supporter

wtf...4 year bump...:rofl: