Recomendation on HU w/ iPod capability

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zak8022, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I used to have an Alpine 9835 with the ipod connect, which i was relatively happy with. I loved being able to have all my stuff from my ipod, even if the interface was clunky. My car got broken into, and the HU was ripped out. I still have the Alpine ipod connector, but just took it out of the car since there is no use for it.

I am looking for a new HU, but i dont necisarily have to stay with Alpine... for some reason i wasnt 100% satisfied with that 9835 (tho it coulda been cuz i still have stock everything else, so i guess its a tough call). My old Pioneer sounded better, imo, but lacked ipod playback.

So whats hot in the world of HU's these days? I'm not looking to spend a fortune on a HU again, esp since i will have to be buying new dash peices so everything can fit right again. iPod compatability (in some fashion) is a requirement.

Thanks in advance for help/comments/suggestions.

Oh, and i dont plan on ever having an insane system in my car, however i am a borderline audiofile(sp?) and i really want good sound quality, tho i want good loudness as well, since i always ride with the windows down. I'm not looking to be the balla with tons of bass at the stoplight, but i want to be able to hear my music relatively clearly when going down the highway with the windows down. I know thats more a function of what i do with speakers, but a HU is the building block, so it all ties together. Ok, rant done.

2. dew

dew Banned

in for answers i need a new hu

3. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

the new alpine's are light years ahead of last year's, when it comes to ipod's.

4. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Do they require the new(er) ipod adapter? I still have my old one... KDA-420i i think... i know the 420i part is right, not sure of the KDA.

I guess i might go into Tweeter and check them out in person, so i can see how fast it scrolls. I remember my old one scolling slow as balls.

5. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

new plug for new set-up... it's much faster than the old style.

6. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Cool, thats for that heads up.

What about general Sound Quality between brands? Is Alpine still the king? (i havent been paying attention to the market for a while) I dont know where to start, really.

7. dew

dew Banned

yeah i was thinking about getting an alpine

8. rebs

rebs shares AIDS OT Supporter

Alpine 9856 + have 3 rca out, ipod controll via 30 dollar cable.
    Allthough you do not get hi Voltage preouts untill the 9860

9. Ronin

Ronin Guest

the 9860 is still 2v

the 9861 is 4v

10. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Can you explain this preout voltage a little more.. or point me in the right direction of where to find out?

11. 1997 CL 3.0

1997 CL 3.0 OG since 00

I've got a Pioneer DEH-9800BT and the ipod integration from last year to this year is so much better, the ipod is actually usuable. I think most manufacturers got their act together with respect to Ipods this year