GUN recomend me 1911 mags for my kimber

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BROKE, Nov 2, 2007.

1. BROKE

BROKE Mr. Selfdestruct

prefferebly not super expensive, but reliable

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

3. Topgun

Topgun OT Supporter

yeah, those.

4. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Wilson Combat

/thread

5. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  6. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

Wilson /thread

I hate 1911's and even I know that :mamoru:

7. AB13

AB13 New Member

47D's are nice, I like the thicker metal they use for their mag body's, but, the only problem with them are the longevity of their springs. Their springs are pretty well known to go out from 6 months to a year after some good use. If you don't plan to keep them stoked up and don't shoot very much, you shouldn't have any problems with them.

My friends that shoot the shit out of their 1911's and are all accomplished competitive shooters, all use Chip McCormick mags. There are a few that use 47D's, but they don't keep them very long. A really good friend of mine has 20,000 + rounds through his Series 1 Kimber, and SWEARS by his CMC powermags. He's a very well respected and accomplished shooter in my area that has won his share of State Championships.

Don't just take my word for it, research the 1911 forums and other 1911 afficianado's about CMC's and read for yourself. I've got some 47D's, but I compete with Chip McCormick power mags. Wilson Mags is just what everyone knows and repeats for fear of being called cheap. I go with what works and could care less what people think.

You can order Chip McCormicks power mags, otherwise called CMC's in the 1911 world, from Natchez.com for $16 a pop, which is HALF the price of Wilson mags at $30.

If you really wanted to "impress" people and have some mags worth "name dropping", bypass the Wilson 47d's and get Tripp Research Cobra Mags, or the newly released Wilson ETM's (new Wilson mags).

if you want "economical" but has been a proven design by many 1911 heads for many years and thousands of rounds, get the CMC's aka Chip McCormick Power Mags.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  8. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I've shot and own a couple CMC Powermags, but 47D's are what I use in my 1911. They feed 100%. My other favorite mags are the Metalform FBI 7 rd'ers.

9. AB13

AB13 New Member

A disclosure I should have noted was, try a sampling of all mags before you plunk down an investment of a magazine lot. I've heard and seen various things, and when it comes to 1911's, it really varies significantly from one 1911 to another when it comes to what mags work.

The 10 rounders don't work too well in my DW, yet they perform flawlessly in my Kimber.

It's really one of those things you have to test on your particular 1911, that should have been my recommendation from jump.

10. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Exactly. The article to which I linked above explains "why" in detail.