Reccommendations for a progressive rock fan?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Charonchan, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Charonchan

Charonchan New Member

Heya. I really love Pink Floyd (especially the stuff from Meddle to the Wall), Supertramp (Breakfast in America, Crime of the Century), and Quadrophenia by the Who is currently growing on me. I'm assuming I like prog rock, but when I try to listen to straight prog, it's too...empty? I don't like what (admittedly little) I've heard of King Crimson (Larks' Tongues in Aspic) or Yes (Close to the Edge). I really think I prefer stuff with more melodic music and less outright experimentation, like '70s Pink Floyd.

I'm open to all suggestions: bands, songs, albums, even stuff from other genres. (I have new headphones to break in, after all.) Thanks!

2. Zeromancer

Zeromancer Pampita's Love Slave

Dream Theater.
    Camel
    Kyuss
    Kansas
    Genesis (w/ Peter Gabriel as the singer)

3. BiscuitsNgroovy

BiscuitsNgroovy OT Supporter

Porcupine Tree is probably the closest band you will find to Pink Floyd due to the diversity in their music and albums. They go eveywhere from an entirley Psychedelic instrumental journey (Voyage 34) to more "standard" Prog Rock and even Metal. (In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet)
    Pink Floyd is my favorite band but for me Porcupine Tree is in a close 2nd..

Id also check out Dredg, they are more prog hard rock, reminiscent of tool on their first 2 albums, if you're into that kind of music.

You might also like Explosions in the Sky and Godspeed You! Black Emperor, they are both post rock bands, but I don't feel Post-Rock is that far off Progressive. Both are entirely instrumental, with Explosions featuring more upbeat songs and Godspeed having very dark and haunting, yet beautiful music.

4. Floriderp

Floriderp GnarShredder420 OT Supporter

Check out this local band Ronald Raygun. They are just starting up but have a ton of talent in their lineup. The only way we know how to describe them is melodic progressive: http://www.myspace.com/ronaldraygunweb

5. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

I love loooove Supertramp. Check out their first two albums, the self-titled (aka "Surely") and Indelibly Stamped, which is one of my all time favorite albums.

some classics-

Rush, Moving Pictures
    David Bowie, Aladdin Sane
    Emerson Lake & Palmer, Trilogy
    (I don't adore this whole album, but Hoedown live is GLORIOUS)

For some reason I also thought of The Verve's Urban Hymns, not exactly prog but sort of arty, and beautiful.

6. Superluminal

Superluminal New Member

I've been exploring some of the European prog bands from the '70s recently, and a couple came to mind when I read your post:

Magma - These guys are a little strange, very experimental, but melodic as well. Warning: definitely not for most people. The music has an almost trance-like quality where they spend 20 or so minutes building into a huge frenzy. They sing in the constructed language of Kobaïan and were so unique they invented their own genre named Zeuhl (from the Kobaïan word for "celestial"). I'd try the albums Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh (especially the version from the Theusz Hamtaahk Trilogie) or Üdü Wüdü first. They seem to be the "easiest" way into the genre. You can see a decent version of a couple of songs here:

1. Mekanïk Kommandöh - a recent recording

2. Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh (most of Hortz Fur Dëhn Stekëhn West)

3. De Futura - the song that got me interested in Magma

4. While doing this I just found a nice recording of "The Last Seven Minutes" :bowdown:

Locanda Delle Fate - A great prog group from Italy. They released one album in the '70s, Forse le lucciole non si amano più and another recently which isn't nearly as good. Some think it's too light or artsy, but this is my favorite album of the entire progressive genre. It's simply beautiful. More vids:

1. The title track from Forse le lucciole non si amano più on 1970s Italian TV. :bowdown:

7. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Dredg is good for something harder.
    The Mars Volta is also quite good.
    Yes is awesome.... try giving King Crimson another try. They have a HUGE, diverse library... and it took me a few listens to get into most prog.