A&P Reccommend me a backpack

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by k9n, Jul 31, 2006.

1. k9n

k9n Member

Hey guys, I'm looking for a backpack for my Digital Rebel XT in the sub 100$ range. I like the idea of having separate compartments for all the items although at the moment I have only the kit lens. Is the Canon 200EG anygood? (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009R6TA/102-0010929-3425746?v=glance&n=502394) I would like to have room for a laptop/waterbottles, snacks and possibly a light jacket too!

2. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

I use the cheapo Canon back pack and it can carry a decent amount of gear. Currently it carries my 20D w/ 70-200 f/2.8L IS & BG-E2 battery grip, 10D w/ 16-35 f/2.8L, 420EX flash, 50mm f/1.8 in the main compartments. In the extra areas it carries various filters, back up batteries and other misc. stuff. It probably won't be the best bag to carry a laptop or jacket but you could look at other bags that were meant photography & laptops.
    http://www.midwestbags.com/product_...d=165&osCsid=339897387aabf5548fc7e87d0eab49d9

3. frozenhubcap

frozenhubcap New Member

4. craigl33

craigl33 New Member

burton zoom pack. the best looking one out there hands down. costs 139 i think. you might be able to find cheaper.

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

thats what I have and I paid $80 for it...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. craigl33

craigl33 New Member

7. k9n

k9n Member

the zoom is really nice, i like how it look like a normal pack and not fat like the others

8. rhino

rhino New Member

9. patina

patina OT Supporter

Lowepro.

10. 3-THREE-7

3-THREE-7 New Member

I have the Lowepro Orion Trekker. Its a good pack, but does not have too much room for camera gear. 1 body, and 3 lenses will fill the camera section. The top part might fit a small laptop. I got mine on sale for 25 bucks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Changed

Changed Guest

damn that would be perfect for me if it held my laptop. I only have 1 body + 1 lens for now :hs:

12. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

ive got a lowepro trekker aw but they've got a computrekker aw if you want to carry your laptop too

13. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

I got the Nature Trekker AW II, Absolutely love it, One of a kind, I needed something for both my bodies, and to fit everything else in there, and this works perfect. Also will hold my Tripod if i need it too, and in a comfortable place, which I also wanted. I don't really care about the "weather resistance" part of it, but everything else just worked together, and they don't really make one like it without all the weather features.

[​IMG]

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=279102&is=REG

14. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

here is mine. i ended up getting it off ebay for like $75

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

you may not have a lot of gear now, but if you ever plan on getting more its better to go ahead and get a bigger bag now so you have the room for the future

15. patina

patina OT Supporter

Yea I have the lowepro CompuDaypack, fits my Macbook Pro, D50, 3 lenses, Mouse/HD/misc comp shit. I love it.

16. Airpoppoff

The ones for the 17" laptops are way too big :wtc:

17. Derrict

I'm looking to get another bag that can hold my 20D w/ grip w/ 70-200 f/2.8L and the 10D (no grip) with the 16-35 f/2.8L. My Canon pack can barely hold this set up right now; it's not quite wide enough so it bulges out slightly. Would the AW II be big enough? I'm not looking to get a HUGE/tall bag but something about the same size I have now but wider.

18. Derrict

Where'd you get it for $25? I'm looking for a small bag for the times I'm only going to carry 1 body around (and flash and 1 lens, plus filters).

19. Airpoppoff

yeah, I still carry around the d70, thats why this one is perfect for me. Not too big, not too small.

I carry all these:
    D200 usually with the 18-200 on it with lens hood
    D70 with no lens
    18-70 d70 kit lens
    10.5 fisheye
    50mm 1.8
    70-300ED
    SB600
    Full Stroboframe Bracket
    Monster AA charger
    portable 80gb laptop hd enclosure

And I've still got room to get the 70-200 in there that I'm going to be purchasing in the future. Not to mention this backpack when completely full can be heavy, but it's very comfortable.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Toploading/classic/Topload_Zoom_2.aspx

I have that, and they make the Zoom pro which will fit a longer lens if you want to carry the 70-200 around. It works great, stores memory, extra battery, fits my D200 with a grip on, and I use that for just leisure shoots and whatsoever where i don't need everything. You wont be able to fit a flash, but whenever i need to carry the flash, I just have a belt clip for it so Whenever I want i can just pull it off my hip and throw it on.

20. 3-THREE-7

3-THREE-7 New Member

I picked it up at a Blacks Outlet. I don't know if US has Blacks Photography. I think when I bought it, they were regularly around 50.00 USD, and I picked it up half price.

*note that it was an Orion Trekker I, which is now discontined. The Orion Trekker II has a few upgrades, but I would not spend the 60 dollars US that they are going for now. If the go on sale, pick one up.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=GQJcFq9p01!1180099152!1154536476130?ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=RootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&shs=orion+trekker&image.x=3&image.y=12

Also check Ebay. There are some Trekker I kicking around on there for decent prices..

21. redna

redna New Member

CompuTrekker AW ftw.

22. Airpoppoff

Do you have it? How big is it?

23. redna

redna New Member

It's a moderate sized pack, but it carries EVERYTHING.

[​IMG]

The 2 straps hangin in that picture attach to the clips right by his armpits and cinch down.

He's a bit bigger than me, but it'll give you the jist.

I love it because it carries everything that i might need and more. I dont have enough to fill it up with lenses and camera gear so I'm able to fill it with other stuff too (like snacks, small hiking gear, emergency kit, etc). Also, if I'm using it for hiking, I dont take my laptop and I use the laptop pocket as a hydration pouch.

24. Reverend

Reverend OT Supporter

I've got more camera bags than I know what to do with, but each one is good for a different kind of excursion.

Lowepro Rolling Computrekker Plus AW -- great for air travel, barely fits in the overhead compartments, but it carries EVERYTHING. Its also got backpack straps, if you prefer to carry it that way.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lowepro Nova 4 AW -- perfect for wedding gigs, carries just enough
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tamrac Velocity 6 Slingback -- great for when you know which select lenses you'll need. Can hold my XT w/grip, 24-70 and 70-200, or the 24-70, 10-22 & 50mm (stacked) and a flash.
    [​IMG]

25. Airpoppoff

I had the Nova5, I just can't find a use for it anymore, It just sits there :o