Reccomend me a good notebook DVD burner

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GlocksRock, Aug 27, 2006.

1. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

My acer aspire 3624 WXCi currently has a dvd/cd-rw combo drive in it, and I was wanting to swap it out for a dvd burner. I've always really liked the NEC burners for my desktop, but don't have any experience with the slim drives. Should I stick with NEC, or go with one of the lesser expensive Pioneer drives I see on newegg?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

3. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

yeah, I was looking at all the offerings on newegg, but the reviews say the faceplate on that burner sucks. Is there any way to tell how well that would fit into my laptop?

4. deusexaethera

They're all a standard size.

The sucky faceplate can be solved by removing the faceplate once, putting a SMALL drop of superglue on each of the tabs that hold the faceplate on, and reattaching it and holding it in place for a minute or so.

Actually, most structural problems in life can be solved with a few tiny drops of superglue. Use the kind that they sell to women to fix their fingernails with; it dries slower and grabs harder than Krazy Glue does.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

incorrect, they do NOT all use the same size.

6. deusexaethera

Revised:

Aftermarket slim optical drives all use faceplates that are the same height and width as the front of the drive. OEM drives are usually fitted with custom faceplates that can be any size the OEM wants them to be. If you're lucky enough to have a laptop where the faceplate is the same size as the front of the drive, an aftermarket drive will fit perfectly.

Otherwise, you'll have to deal with a gap around your new drive, or you'll have to bust out a Dremel to make a frame to fill the gap around the edges. Fitting the OEM faceplate to the aftermarket drive is rarely an option, because while the size is standard, the tabs and screws that hold the faceplate on are different for every brand.