Reccomend an inexpensive power supply?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kerpal, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

I need a power supply for an Athalon 1600 system I'm assembling. It will be running 2 hard drives (maybe a third eventually) and 2 cd drives. What kind of power rating do I need? And who makes good, inexpensive power supplies? I don't want anything fancy or expensive, just reliable, and preferably with a quiet fan since the system will be going in a bedroom. This is a budget system so I'd rather not spend any more than I have to.

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

300W should be fine as long as you're not running some crazy video card or something. You get what you pay for with power supplies, so I'd recommend an Antec. A 300W Antec is only $34 from NewEgg.

3. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

I might get a Radeon 9600 (probably XT or Pro), and maybe add a fan or two to the case if I decide to OC the cpu. Is 300W still good enough in that case?

I had an Antec die on me after about a year, so I'm a little sceptical about paying more for one again... I know they have a good rep though. Are there any other brands that are good, or are the rest inferior quality? A few other brands have lots of good reviews on Newegg...

4. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

I should mention... I'll eventually upgrade to either a P4 mobo & cpu, or a higher rated Athalon in this system, and possibly oc whatever I go with, so I need a power supply that can work for those setups as well. (Or are they all amd/p4 compatible now?)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2004
  5. Penguin Man

300W should still be fine, but you might consider going up to 350. If you're upgrading to a P4 then make sure that you get one that has the extra P4 plug on it (I think most do nowdays). There are other good brands, Antec is just the one that comes to mind. Search this forum and you'll probably find several recent threads with PSU suggestions.

6. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

thanks, I think I'll look for a 350W just to have extra juice for future additons.

any brands/models that are known for being especially quiet? is a 2 fan PS louder (or quieter?) than a one fan unit? it would be really nice to have something as close to silent as possible.

7. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

I think I'll just bite the bullet and get an Antec TruePower 430W... seems like it should be impossible to go wrong with that. A little more than I had hoped to spend, but $67 isn't bad... should be quiet and last me through future upgrades.

8. Penguin Man

Good choice. 430W is overkill, but it's a good PSU so it should last a long time.