Reccomend a video card? and how much RAM?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kerpal, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

I finally got some hand-me-down hardware to upgrade my ancient (PII 450) computer with, an Athalon 1.7 processor on an MSI mainboard (VIA KT266 chipset, supports 200/266 MHz FSB, supports DDR PC1600/2100). But I need a video card to match the new CPU since I'm still on an equally aincient 16 mb vid card. The motherboard supports 4x APP video... are 8x AGP cards backwards compatible? What's a good card that isn't too expensive but will allow me to take full advantage of this CPU? I realize the Athalon 1.7 isn't exactly top of the line, so I don't need a top of the line video card, just something to match it. I'd like to get back into playing some games, and do some digital video editing...

And, I have 256 mb of DDR PC2700 DRAM for this card.... doesn't seem like much since I have 512 mb on my old 450 MHz. Will I notice a large difference in performance going from 256, to 512, to 768? I'm thinking I should add another 256 mb at the very least...

2. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

AGP is backwards compatible...so if it's a 8X card you can run 1X-2X-4X...

what do you plan on doing with the video card...thats the thing, if all your doing is browing web sites, viewing videos, and some pic editing, you should be fine...if your a heavy gamer, then it really depends how big your pockets are, if you want something descent, play games once a while, dont want to spend too much, maybe you should be look at the GF4 Ti series....not too expensive, and descent graphics for games....

ya I think 512 is where you want to be right now, I didnt notice a biff diff on my 1600xp+ when I went from 256 to 512, but I am not too picky, but I did notice some definite improvments in games...but ya I would definitivally say 512 is as low as you want to be right now, but again depends what you expect from your pc, but for video editing, for sure 512...

I know I am going all over the place, I hope I make sence, I am at work and can't really focus too much

3. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

Thanks for the advice. :)

Well, I was hoping to spend under $150, I guess going up to $175 would be OK if it would get a signifigantly better card.... this is going to be my family's computer in a month or two when I build myself a good system, so I don't want to spend too much.... but at the same time I want to get something that will last my family a good while.

I want something that can at least run the newest games out today, but it doesn't have to be optimized for them... my sis and I like to play games every now and then, but we don't have the time to get really into any hardcore gaming... It would be great to do some graphics & video editing on this comp though, since we both want to play around with that & see if we can teach ourselves the basics of the programs... And I'm guessing it isn't as taxing on the vid card, but we definately want to be able to watch DVD movies and TV on the computer...

Since I've already got 256 mb of PC2700, I'm thinking I may as well just add a stick of 512... I saw 512's of ULTRA DDR2700 DRAM for about $80, does that seem like a good buy? I'm guessing the 2700 is backwards compatible, but should I get more 2700 when I add more, or is mixing 2100 and 2700 ok?

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

i'd be wary of mixing speeds, even though its not gonna run faster than PC2100 anyway.

More memory the better, but 256 is fine for Win9x. If you're running XP, definitely go for 512+ though.

5. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

Well, I've got XP Pro running off a donated 16gb hard drive right now, and I've been liking it, so I may as well stick with some version of XP.

I suppose since I don't have the original CD this issue of XP was installed from, my only option is to buy a retail version of it to install it on the new harddrive? There's no way I could take XP off the HD and essentially make a new XP cd from it, could I? I hate to pay $160 for software I already have, but it seems I'll be stuck when I eventually need to reinstall the software...

6. BBB

BBB OT Supporter

9800 pro ;)