rebuild or replace my 351

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Guest, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a '79 Bronco which has 150,000 miles on it. It goes through about a quart of oil per week, some blows out the exhaust and the rest drips out the bottom. A mechanic told me that there was something wrong with the seal inside the something and thats why it was leaking. Anyway I was wondering if it would cost more to buy an engine(another 351) or just get mine rebuilt. The engine right now with some minor mods like a 4 barrel and performance headers, it hauls major ass.
    I've never had any engine work done and I'm not sure how much it would cost. So if you have any advice let me know.
  2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

Jul 16, 2001
    well if its nothing but a main seal i dahve it rebuilt teh 351 is a good motor have it decked and re bored new rings and pistons it may be cheaper to buy a remanufator engine but in the long run you will be happier wiht a profesional quality rebuild
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

what would something like that cost?
  4. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

Rough guess? 2-4000 clams. Depending on hom much "extras" you want done. A remanufactured installed by someone else would run nearly the same if I remember correctly, but I could be wrong.

And whats up with the Chevy engine?
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

the deal with the chevy engine is I found a brand new 454 for a good price and was wondering what it would take to put it in but that would be to hard so I have scratched that idea.
  6. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

Oct 8, 2001
    The rebuild is a good idea, but you could probably drop a 460 in there for roughly the same cost. If you think your truck hauls w/ the 351, you haven't seen anything yet.
  7. Kracka

Kracka Guest

The thing with rebuilds is that they are normally a better quality than a crate motor or so I've heard. If you look at crate motors you will se they normally only have about a year to 2 year warranty b/c they are pumped out and not as good of quality as a rebuild. The rebuild will obviously be more time consuming, but you'll be happier in the long run! why not drop a new generation Lightning motor in it!! you can find them for about $4500:bigthumb: