reboot problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by druid, Jun 11, 2003.

1. druid

druid What do the 5 fingers say?

I've got a new computer on the way that I got from someone else cheap because he doesn't know to much about computers and couldn't figure out how to fix it. What happens is the computer boots and goes into win98 fine then it just reboots after a varied time 5 mins, 10 mins always a different amount of time. Its apparently not the cpu hs and fan as he checked that and reset it with new grease. I have a few ideas of what to check but it never hurts to hear what others think the problem could be. So if you've had this kind of problem or have any guesses lets hear them.

2. Byromaniac

Byromaniac GO JETS GO OT Supporter

faulty power supply possibly, or maybe you have some conflicting hardware; video card doesnt like motherboard, bad ram, etc really could be anything, and one time a friend of mine had that problem and all it took was replacing the power cord to the computer

if you dont know much about computers its gonna be hard helping you fix it. so i suggest taking it to a shop somewhere to get fixed

3. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

is it a compaq?

just asking because when I had a compaq it would do stupid things like that

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Load up your emergency boot floppy in DOS and leave it. If it reboots, it's hardware. If it doesn't then it's windows interfacing with the hardware.

5. MP

MP New Member

my dads old emachines did that. At first the PSU fan wasn't turning so I put on another one hoping that would fix it. It didin't. I think the damage may already be done unfortunatly. Gonna try to sawp out PSU's though and hope it's just that.

6. Scuba

Scuba New Member

it can really be anything. ive seen ram video cards motherboards and power supply all do that. i just fixed my moms comp that did that by replacing the motherboard. it got burned long ago i guess b/c i could see the burn marks but it still ran for a few mins.

7. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

I would guess memory :dunno: