Reboot loop after hard power off...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Jan 25, 2009.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

My dads Intel Mac Mini has been working great. About two weeks ago I installed 2 gigs of Crucial RAM and it's was working even better.

Today he told me all he had was the rainbow pinwheel spinning, so I looked at it. Mail and Safari were both not responding and they wouldn't force quit. I tried restarting it but it wouldn't restart due to those apps not responding. But I could still browse finder and other things. So I held the power button until it turned off. Now it's just stuck at the grey Apple screen with the pinwheel and it keeps rebooting. It'll sit at that screen for 3-4 minutes, then reboot, and it loops.

I ran the Apple diagnostics and it gave me a memory error. But I'm assuming this is because it isn't genuine Apple RAM. I plan on installing the old RAM tomorrow to see what happens.

Anyone have any ideas on why? I know my Powerbook freaked out sometimes when it was hard powered off due to the HD not parking. Letting it sit for a while always fixed it. :dunno:

2. verbal

verbal Active Member

After playing with it for a few hours and doing research, I found the issue.

Booting to the Leopard install disc and running disk util, I get a few errors that can't be repaired. The main one being "Invalid Extent Entry." After some Googling, I found that Diskwarrior can fix this problem, but there's no guarantee that it will be fixed perfectly. So I'm leary about trying it.

Anyone ever have this issue? There is some data I really want off this drive. So, I'm thinking about just ordering a new HD for it and doing a fresh install. Then getting an external enclosure for the existing drive and hoping I can get the data I want off it. I just want to make sure this error only effects the booting and OS on the drive, not all the data.

3. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

I've had something like this happen. I got different error running disk util from the boot disk, but it was a similar issue. I ended up reformatting since I had most of my data backed up and I didn't have access to a Disk Warrior disk.

I haven't had an issue with it since. I went out soon after, though, and bought a TB external drive for Time Machine backups. I also acquired Disk Warrior and have a disk ready.

4. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member