Reasons why DSL Connection is so Slow?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by vudoodoodoo, Feb 18, 2004.

1. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

My GF just got Verizon DSL at her place. I helped her set it up. OMG Verizons account setup shit fucking sux!!!!!! So fuckin slow and would just stop working. I had to restart that shit like 10 times!!! Fuckin Verizon.
    So we finally get that shit set up and I start testing out the page/file download speeds. WTF it's fuckin slow!!! I tried dowloading from a few places and get 10kb/sec and getting slower. WTF is this shit?!!
    It can't be her computer itself. It's a P3 450Mhz. I know it's not the fastest, but it sould handle web browsing. I'm hoping it's her network card. I'm not sure how or when it got installed on her computer.
    If it's not the network card or something on our side, I'm gonna make her cancel the DSL. $35/month for almost 56K speed is fucking bullshit and :greddy: .

2. x6ftundx

x6ftundx New Member

try www.dslreports.com and test the speed. If its really slow they might have messed up the wiring (which sounds like your problem) and I would call them out to fix it.

3. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

I am stuck with verison DSL at the moment.

I have 1.2 megabit down, and 4kb up.

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Also besure to run the Tweak Test on dslreports.
    If she is running a P3/450 then she's more than likely running either 98 or ME which might need some tweaking to use the dsl modem better.
    I also hope it's connected to the PC via the ehternet card and not the USB. USB connected modems suck.

If she can get cable, do it.
    DSL caps their speeds only letting you get up to 1.5Mbit.
    Most cable ISPs tell you the slowest speed you'll get is 1.5Mbit but will more than likely get speeds faster than that.
    I get around 2.5-3Mbit with Roadrunner. Of course the servers the files are coming from can effect that.

5. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

I installed XP on it.
    Yes, it is connected via ethernet card.
    Well DSL is $35 and Comcast cable is $50. 1.5MB is fine. Only her and her lil bro will be using it, so super duper speed isn't a concern.

6. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

you're running XP on a 450mhz machine?
    Doesn't that run slow as hell?
    I meanI know M$ says you can run XP on a 300mhz, but everyone I know suggest nothing less than a 800-900mhz unless you want to spend forever do anything.

Run the tweak test anyway, it might still be able to help.

7. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

Download: 35kbps
    Upload: 153kbps

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh2:

They sending someone today. :squint:

8. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

XP runs fine. My own machine was 450Mhz and it ran XP w/ no problems. :dunno: :o

What do you suggest? Run 98 or ME? :rofl:

9. x6ftundx

x6ftundx New Member

Stay with XP if it runs fine

10. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

this is the part that concerns me. account setup for dsl - is that the pppoe configuration or were you trying to setup through some kind of automatically loaded java applet in a web browser or some cd they provided?

some isp's want you to run their connection manager software and diagnostics regardless of whether you are having a problem because it helps their brain dead support team troubleshoot - nevermind the fact that your pc runs like crap with it. your dsl connection should not require any software that is not a part of the operating system and if they are having you run something like that i suspect that is the problem.