reasonable charge for web design?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by WhiteRabbit, Jun 14, 2005.

1. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit The Next Step of Human Evolution

I have been hired by a small company to design a web page for them. The webpage will include a custom design and original graphic design. What is a reasonable rate to charge per hour? Is $50 an hour too high?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

$50/hour is the lowest price I'd consider... And I usually charge more than that.

3. Aaaron16

Aaaron16 New Member

Depends on the type of web design. If you're working on the front end where you're doing mostly html and graphics, I think thats kinda high. But if you're doing lots of programming and doing dynamic/back-end work that's relatively low.

4. WhiteRabbit

Do you have any examples of dynamic/back-end websites?

5. WhiteRabbit

Links to pages you've designed?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you don't know what this is, then you're not doing it :mamoru:

Includes PHP, ASP, .Net, etc. The stuff that makes a website DO something useful.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I've handed them out before to a select few. I don't like doing it w/o permission of the client.

When I release MY new website, you can see that.

8. WhiteRabbit

Oh god I'm an idiot nevermind :o

9. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I hate .Net...

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i hate suburu

11. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

STi's arn't so bad :dunno: But LS1>4.6>*

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I hate STi's more than the average subie. :o

13. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

I would never do by the hour, it's not worth it for the client or the designer.. and I usually don't even look at proposals that are under $2k. Charge them a flat out price, write a contract and give them payment options.

14. WhiteRabbit

The site is mostly going to be an informational site since the company is pretty grassroot. It will have information about the company, the vision of the company, the biographies of the founders, and some links to downloadable video clips.

I'm not the most experienced web designer and I essentially got the job because the people contracted my father to manufacture some equipment for them. I took a web design class in college and did well in it and I became fairly familiar with Dreamweaver.

I know what PHP is but I am not very familiar with how it really works or its benefits. Perhaps I should do a little research before I begin..

15. PBizme

PBizme I Got Nothing

If the website isn't going to have information which needs to be updated often, you won't really need anything besides HTML and CSS.

16. WhiteRabbit

How much would you recommend I charge? A grand??

17. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

You said you havn't done this before.... you might want to practice a little. I know that if I was going to hire someone, and then they were on the internet like "what do I charge? What do I do? I don't know php. I've never done this before!" I woudln't want to hire them.

$1000 Is a lot of money to pay someone that doesn't know what they are doing.

18. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Depends on the project. Do you have any design experience? I don't charge by the hour, I charge per project, and I also charge for additional modifications the client requests during the term of the development phase.

First thing you should do is get the specifications, gather a list of materials you'll need to get the job done, determine how long each part takes to complete, and charge the project accordingly, then quote your client. The most important thing, especially as a developer, is to protect yourself.

I'm absolutely done with custom. I'll never do it again. :noes:

19. WhiteRabbit

I don't have much experience with PHP kind of stuff, but I have a very good sense of design and what not... I'm also quick to pick up on things like this.. and I'll be able to produce a high quality product one way or the other, I am confident of that.

20. Igneous

Igneous \\ OT Supporter

hmm... 1000$ would be a lot, however if you could maybe post some SS of designs you've done in the past It would help to determine just how much you should charge. Sounds to me like they just want a pretty simple site, depending on your graphic design skills 1000$ could be a fair price but if you're not the greatest in graphic design they could end up with a ugly site, but it will have the content they requested on it. And then it wont be worth 1k. Are you going to setup hosting/domain name etc?

21. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

Dude,

You need to (1) charge a flat fee for the design (2) charge at LEAST $1k for the site, more like $2k because it WILL take longer than you plan (3) consider if they want custom graphics or just use a template (4) determine if they want a CMS so they can update their site, which I always recommend (5) need to host multiple sites/domain names (6) not get screwed, so use a contract [pm me if you need one I use.]

I would not charge less than $5k for a site. There is a LOT of customer service and hand-holding involved. Even at $2k I find I am spending too much time with clients to justify the work and support.

22. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

Oh, I should add, if you want custom graphics done by some pros, hit me up. I've finally got staffed. You'll be looking at around $1500 for top quality stuff. Check out some of these sites we did recently:

http://www.alfarocustomhomes.com/
    http://www.international-dent.com/
    http://www.riograndebdm.com/

So you show them those, then charge $1k to $2k for the work, $1500 for the graphics, and you look like a god. :bowdown:

Alternately, you pick up a slick template ($100 or less) and do the same thing.

My company: http://www.OneWebAve.com

23. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

There's a lot of people here rattling off prices off the top of their heads without taking into account:

- location (there a lot of web shops or none?)
    - local economy
    - client's budget and budget expectations

Once you figure these out, figure out how long you'll need to start and complete the project. How long will it take you? Roughly gauge how many hours you'll need to spend. Once you have an estimate of hours, you can start playing with hourly rates. Do the math and see what hourly rate would fit your needs, yet would be within the range your client will not freak out on.

You might also take into account other factors. A major factor is you strength in design but weakness in coding. This means you'll have to deal with a learning curve and will probably have to work pretty hard to get this first site done. Do you pass that on to the client? If the client has money and they don't mind, go for it! Otherwise, you may think about discounting the work and chalk it up as valuable experience. Also something to think about, how likely is it this client will go to someone else? Or are they locked into doing the work with you? Also, is there a chance their site will be high exposure and lead you to additional future work? If so, you'll want to make sure you do a kick ass job and complete the project on time (or ahead of time) to impress them. Work hard now and it'll reward you later.

For simple simple sites that don't require much code, I usually go at a pretty cheap rate (toss in some custom stuff and mix in some databases and the price rockets upward). I charge on a per project basis. Go with a per hour IF you're on site doing the work. Otherwise, if you're doing it at home, go with a per project price. Otherwise, the client will feel they are getting ripped off for paying you per hour when they can't see what you're doing.

Another thought is if you're weak in coding, then hire a coder. It'll make your life a lot easier. Plus you'll get the project done (hopefully on time) and you can focus on what you do best, design.

If the client seems even remotely shadey and money is involved, then seriously think about writing up a proposal/contract. If all it does is state what you will and won't do, that may be enough. Otherwise, consult a lawyer to make sure you're legally protecting yourself.

It tends to be common sense around here, but think about setting up a staging site to show the work as you complete it (and get as much feedback throughout the entire process as you can). But don't deliver the goods until you're satisfied with the payment arrangements. Some folks like to do 50% up front and the rest on completion. Others just do a contract. You pick your terms and stick to them. If you do 50% up front, then show them the progress and when its complete, you don't deliver until you get the last 50%.

Of course, if its just for friends, there may be absolutely no need to get so formal...

24. WhiteRabbit

So I am going to do this site for real cheap, mostly because it is going to be a learning experience.

I have a couple questions too.

The company is looking to sell products on the website. What should I do to learn how to go about learning how to do this?

Thanks!

25. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

You could find some open source shopping cart software and use that. Find some documentation about CC# processing. PayPal IPN is probably the best way to go for small clients.