rear ended a car today, have a question

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by metalfan111, Oct 8, 2006.

1. metalfan111

metalfan111 Guest

I don't know what other forum to put this in, I think it fits best here, but if it belongs somewhere else, please move it.

I rear ended a 2000 Ford Explorer with my 1990 Plymouth Acclaim today. I was trying to stop at a red light, but it was raining really hard and I skidded into the car infront of me. I was going about 30mph.

The only visible damage to my car is I smashed the front right light in. On the 2000 Ford Explorer, it looks like I pushed the bumper down. I can see that I partially tore it off, but it is still firmly attached somehow. Her "Check Engine" light on her dashboard came on.

I want to try to pay this out of my pocket if it isn't too expensive because my insurance will skyrocket. The person can't get an estimate for a week because she will be out of town. Anyone know of what other possibly damage could have happened inside the car and how much it will probably cost? I don't have any pics of the damage. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2006
  2. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Wow pretty broad. It is kind of hard to diagnose a car without even a picture. If it is just the bumper probably a replacement is just a few hundred, but if it was hard enough to hit the exhuast, frame, or anything else, it could range to a whole bunch of things.

Hope it all works out.

3. metalfan111

metalfan111 Guest

Sorry I don't have a pic. From what I saw, it looks like it was just the bumper that needs to be replaced. She has been driving it around and it works fine. She insists she gets it repaired at a Ford dealership. My friend said getting it fixed from a ford dealership will cost a lot more. Do you know around how much it would cost from a Ford dealership? I'm in Maryland if it matters.

4. metalfan111

metalfan111 Guest

There was also a passenger I should not have been driving. Right when I crashed, I made him go somewhere else and someone picked him up. I just got my license in August so I'm legally not allowed to drive anyone for 150 days. If this is reported to State Farm, will they ask if there were any passengers? If they do, do I have to tell them? There is no proof there is a passenger, but I think the person I hit saw him.

5. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

You bent the frame rails on the back of the explorer if the bumper is sagging down but still firmly attached.

Go through insurance.

6. IslanderOffRoad

Oh and if its a ford dealer and they have a body shop they should be charging the same as any other body shop... if they dont have a body shop don't take it there.

7. metalfan111

metalfan111 Guest

How much would it cost to fix it if it was the frame rails? I really don't want to go through insurance with this. She was driving the car and it works fine, she doesn't notice any problems.

8. wakeboarder071

wakeboarder071 I'm classy

lol go through insurance, trust me. i got rear ended in my g20 and the damage was not nearly as bad as the explorer's sounds, and it was $625. They will probably have to bend out the frame in the rear, replace the bumper and repaint, etc... Doesn't matter if she can't tell a difference, of course she can't. but her frames probably bents so she might wanna get that checked out. man up and don't be a pussy

9. IslanderOffRoad

Alot.

Go through insurance. The Exploder might even be totalled if the frame is bent. Why don't you have them get an estimate and then see if you want to go through insurance or not? I bet you will.

10. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

Yeah have her get an estimate first and let you know, if the frame is damaged it will not be cheap. You never know what kind of damage a car has sustained until someone knowledgable has been underneath and looked around.

My '91 fullsize truck was totalled when it was less than a year old from frame damage sustained in a front driver side hit. $20,000 truck new back then, worth dick after one hit. To fix the frame it had to be put on a large rack, frame rails heated and "stretched" back out straight, a new bumper, grill and quarter panel was going to cost the insurance company more to fix than to just pay out $16,000.

11. IslanderOffRoad

Nowadays we can't heat anymore. Unibody cars don't take well to much heating. That only works on full frame vehicles, granted the Explorer is one.

12. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

muffler bearing is probably toast too. thats a pretty penny.

13. metalfan111

metalfan111 Guest

Its going through insurance. She filed a claim a couple days ago. I just got my license like 2 months ago and I'm on my family's policy. I just didnt want to jack up the rates.

14. metalfan111

metalfan111 Guest

My car isnt even that bad, just a smashed frontlight, i dont see how i could have bent her frame, i guess ill just have to wait and see

15. rm -rf you

rm -rf you Guest

have the code pulled
    its normal

probobly the FCS (fuel cutoff switch) that was supposed to turn off the fuel in a accident did not turn off

16. rm -rf you

rm -rf you Guest

just keep saying you didnt have a passenger in the car,

and fight it, whatever you do, say she was brake checking you for that matter

17. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

just the bumper mount could be bent, or the bumer itself.