Realtek ALC655 - No rear sound

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ms500, Jun 3, 2007.

1. ms500

ms500 New Member

I have a system built around the ECS KN1 Extreme motherboard with the Realtek ALC655 onboard sound chip, and I also have a PCI Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard inserted with a set of Creative Inspire 5100 surround speakers.

I've just installed Windows Vista ultimate to replace my old Windows XP Pro install, and I discovered that my Creative soundcard wasn't fully supported and so I decided to use the onboard sound, which is supposed to support 5.1 Speakers by changing a setting in the driver.

I installed the driver and set it to output 5.1 surround, plugged the speakers into the correct ports, and tested each speaker in the driver software, where every speaker seemed to work properly.

However, when I try and play stuff from other software (Youtube, Google video, VLC, Winamp, Media player, etc..), the two rear speakers don't output any sound, despite working fine when I tested them in the driver software.

Please could someone help me with this.

2. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

If it's set to true 5.1, I would think you wouldnt get any sound out of the rear unless there was sound there in the video, if that makes sense. Like in a HT setup, you get sound out of the center channel mostly because everyone is in front of you, and youll get a sound out the rear speakers if there is somthing coming from behind.

3. ms500

ms500 New Member

I see what you're saying, but in XP with my Creative card I used to get sound out of all the speakers when playing MP3's since it would duplicate the front channels out of the rear speakers.

If this isn't going to work, could someone recommend me a decent 5.1 PCI sound card that's 100% compatible with Vista? I don't seem to be able to find one.

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Did you try adjusting the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties in your control panel?

There's a setting under the volume tab/speaker settings for 5.1 surround speakers.

I don't know if that allows for a synthetic output on the rear speakers, but it's worth a try.

5. ms500

ms500 New Member

Thanks, I found a setting called 'speaker fill' which seemed to enable the rear speakers, but for some reason the output is really crackly. :hsughno:

I'm gonna have another go at re-installing my Creative card and see if that makes it any better.