A&P Really new to slr photography...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by radfad88, Apr 17, 2008.

1. radfad88

radfad88 The Batman-O-Lantern

I bought a Rebel XT during Christmas and so far I only have the kit lens (18-55mm).

Here is one of the first pictures I got to take with it. It was taken at a "riverquarium" near my house.

[​IMG]

Like I said, I'm new so be gentle with the critiquing...

Since you guys are more experienced, what software programs do you suggest for editing photos? I already have Photoshop, and plan on getting Light Room. Any other must-haves?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  2. radfad88

yeah, sorry it's so big guys... i keep trying to resize it...

3. radfad88

sort of fixed it... now it's MUCH smaller

4. OneTwo

OneTwo me>you OT Supporter

LightRoom is the preferred editing software here.

5. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

too fuzzy/soft (maybe because of the thick glass of the tank)

should've zoomed in and focused on a fish in the background where there is a bit of light and see how that would've turned out.

can't really think of anything else.

6. free_notes

free_notes New Member

if you were in the same situation with a point and shoot, could you have taken the same photo?

what advantages does having an slr give you when you're out taking photos?

7. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

lens lens lens lens lens

8. radfad88

well as of right now I'm still trying to learn the basics, I'm getting used to adjusting shutter speed, apertures, etc.

My point and shoot (sd 630) probably wouldn't have been able to capture most of the pics i took at the aquarium, the fish were moving really fast and without flash I think they would've all turned out blurry.

advantage of dslr? changeable lenses, way more manual fxns, faster, more megapixals for editing, etc.

9. radfad88

OOPS! I feel :p
    (sorry)

10. radfad88

zooming in much farther was sort of hard with my little lens... but next time I go there hopefully I'll have some better equipment

11. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

i'm thinking the lack of light in the tank itself is going to get in your way of getting a good shot.

post few more shots, maybe they turned out better than this one.

Here is what i'd try with what you have.... 18mm, 3.5f, increase the exposure by few clicks. move the camera as close to the tank as possible and shoot :dunno:

12. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

To be honest, I'd spend the money on a beginners guide to digital photography book before you buy anymore software. It will help you a lot more than Light Room will.

13. radfad88

others from that day:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this one had a water streak going down the side of the tank right in the middle of the alligator, so I had to try to photoshop it out... still looks weird though.

14. radfad88

will do. any suggestions?

15. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

No but there's a lot of books out there.

16. free_notes

free_notes New Member

i guess i should've been more specific. the question wasn't the advantages of having an slr as a piece of equipment, but what do these options give YOU as a photographer? changeable lenses aren't an issue for you, since you only have one lens. what does 'faster' mean to you and how can you use this new 'speed'? megapixels and editing mean nothing at this stage of the game; don't rely on photoshop/lightroom to make your photos better.

ibhate

17. free_notes

free_notes New Member

there's a sticky with a ton of ebooks.

18. radfad88

:rolleyes: yeah, i thought this is what you were implying. sure, interchangeable lenses don't mean much to me RIGHT NOW because CURRENTLY i only have one lens... but I intend on investing in more later (unlike some on OT, my income is far below "disposable"). I have had 4 different point and shoots over the last 7 years and wanted more out of my photos. I'm also a mass media major and will be taking a digital photography class next spring, I thought I might as well get something I really wanted for Christmas rather than blowing money on clothes or some other dumb thing I won't use for very long (btw, I'm a girl).

does all this "qualify" me to own a DSLR, sir? :noes: I really hope for your approval since you seem to be the gatekeeper of digital photography.

19. free_notes

free_notes New Member

i'm not judging you or asking you to defend your choices, i'm just trying to probe your mind and make you think about what your tools can do for you, personally, rather than relying on the opinions of others. what were your limitations with the point and shoots you've owned? now that you have an slr, what new horizons have been revealed? how have your sensitivities changed?

20. radfad88

the point and shoots I own (and have owned in the past) don't offer many manual functions, sure I can look at something and then "point and shoot" but then taht picture isn't really my picture. Other than framing, the camera chose all (most) of the settings for the shot.

Obviously right now my skills are novice but I hope the XT will give me a chance to experiment with light and settings to create a photograph rather than just snap a shot of something.

Of course that all sounds more dramatic than the subject really is... but since we're delving into our subconscious to find reasons behind my SLR purchase, there you have it.

21. free_notes

free_notes New Member

why can't you create a photograph with a point and shoot? composition is about subject, context, framing, etc. not the equipment used to capture it. yes, it's harder to control what comes out of a point and shoot, but great photos can be taken/created with them.

none of this is subconscious. if it is then your decision to buy a dslr was made poorly.

i get the feeling that you're not up for this kind of conversation, so i'll leave you alone. enjoy your new equipment and i truly look forward to seeing your future photos.