really, how difficult is it to take doors off and pull the speakers out

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by M-1000, Dec 19, 2002.

1. M-1000

M-1000 COME FLY AWAY

i want my damn speakers in the car i drive more. but of course my dad insists on letting the "pros" do it because i might fuck something up. how many wires will there be in a door with power locks and windows preventing me from getting at the speaker? this is a 2001 taurus by the way. and as far as having to sauter the cables, thats why they make push terminals that you can hook on the wires. so really, how difficult would it be to do the switch myself? and how can i convince my dad to let me do this?

IBstupidflames

2. 04

04 Guest

It depends on the car. My brother's explorer was a pain in the ass to pull the doors apart, while my old Jeep Cherokee was quite easy.

3. M-1000

M-1000 COME FLY AWAY

so in other words i wouldnt know until i actually took the door off

4. Pioneer

Pioneer Are you annoyed? You will be.

The tough part is the door (figuring how it comes apart)

5. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

i have a ford bronco, so i'm imagining that the hardware in our cars will be near the same...but...

pretty much all door installs are the same. just look around and locate all the screws. the rest of the door panel is usually secured with little push-pin things....plastic nubs that just pop into the door. -- be careful with those. don't want to break them.

best thing to do for that kind of stuff is to go to a car audio shop or a hardware store and buy a panel-popper. it looks like a long fork (a handle with a 2-fork prong at the end). if you really don't want to get one, you can just pull them off with your hands - but beware that they break easily. to do it with your hands you have to gently pull them from as close to them as you can.

just feel around and pop all those out. once you have the door panel loose, disconnect the window/lock controls and the panel will slide up and out over the door handle.

once you get one side done the other will be easy.

good luck.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2002
  6. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Ive taken the doors off a 2002 GTI and a Lincoln Mark VIII in the last week. Nothing hard about it at all. All common sense. And NO im not a mechanic.