Really hard time breathing while running - asthma?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by xpinchx, Jul 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Been out running for a week now slowly upping the pace and distance until I can run a 5k in <30min without stopping to walk. Anyway even though I'm in poor CV health I'm not pushing it too hard, but I'm having a really hard time breathing after the first mile or so. I have to take really shallow breaths to keep the air moving and if I take a deeper "belly" breath I feel like I'm not getting enough air. Also it's extremely hard to take in more than a shallow breath... Only way I can think to describe this is when you blow air into a balloon the first little bit that fills the volume of the empty balloon is pretty easy, but to start expanding it you need to back it up with some pressure... That's kind of what it feels like, I have to really try hard to fill my lungs past the normal volume.

Anyway, it ends up with me being really short of breath and getting really bad side stitches after about 1.5 miles. Thoughts? I have access to both ephedrine and albuterol, would either of these help me?

2. Thomas Crenshaw

Thomas Crenshaw New Member

your just clearly out of shape. dont expect so much

3. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Try a small amount of bronkaid or some other ephedrine source...it'll help open your breathing passages, but for the most part you just need to keep at it and build endurance.

4. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Hard to tell whether it's just being out of shape or asthma.

It's pretty unusual for adults who don't smoke to randomly develop asthma in adulthood. Most cases start in young kids and either persists through adulthood, goes away, or leaves and then comes back (this is what happened to me).

A good way to tell is after you're short of breath from running, taking 2 shots on the albuterol. If you feel better than usual within a 1min time span it might be asthma.

Some pulmonary tests would be better suited to address the issue though.

5. Contract

Contract Guest

Sounds like you are running out of gas, keep pushing the bar and see what it leads you too. Maybe try another breathing pattern.

6. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

It sounds like you are out of shape and probably need to lighten up the running a little bit more. Most of your running especially as a beginner should be at a conversation pace (where you feel comfortable talking). Your speed and endurance will improve over time even when taking it easy.

7. synthetic

synthetic New Member

< has asthma and ran marathon... you are cleary out of shape sir. asthmatics make a wheezing sound when out of breath. when we dont have an inhaler around, coffee helps. to build your lung strength, im against using assitance. just build up your tolerance naturally... weight lifting really helps, especially bench press exercises, i notice when i stop working out, my symptoms to come back... people also suggest swimming to build lung strength also

8. Elfling

Elfling New Member

This. Just keep at it, it's the only way to develop your CV fitness.

9. smb is me

smb is me New Member

^^ what they said.

do you have asthma? or do you think you might have asthma b/c of this?
    If you actually have a verifyable case of asthma, go to your doctor and tell him your medicine doesn't seem to be working well enough. you want to have a healthy, moderately active lifestyle, and you are unable to do that on current medication.

if he says, don't run, the F that. 5k in under 30 mins qualifies as moderately active. its not like u are trying to do a decathlon or some shit.

If you don't really have asthma, slowly build up to it, and for heavens sake's try not to think about your breathing while running. that is the WORST. if you are focusing on your breathing, or how out of breath you are, then the entire run will be miserable. find your groove, and then let your mind wander to contemplate other stupid shit.

10. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

My asthma came back out of nowhere after being dormant for 8 years. I think it had to do with a lot of factors, but being out of shape CV wise just makes it a lot worse because when you do exercise and you're out of shape you'll have trouble differing breathing problems attributed to asthma or just being out of shape.

11. jordybb

jordybb New Member

In my opinion you are out of shape and your breathing problems are only related to that but if you have a different opinion and you think you have asthma consult your doctor about your routine and check your medicines daily...

12. Epik High

Epik High OT Supporter

People with asthma have a difficult time breathing OUT. Try holding your breath and see if you can hold it for longer than a minute. I know that when I get a cold it effects my breathing and my lung capacity cuts down to 60% making it extremely difficult to catch my breath.

Also, check your heartrate. You could be running at a really high heart rate which is making you exhausted so much.

You're likely just out of shape and need to slow down the run speed. Just keep at it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.