Realistic bodyfat % goals

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Creator, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

I got some body fat calipers yesterday and measured myself. Looks like I'm around 21% :hs:

5'10
    180lbs
    I do the stickied 4x week lifting routine

I eat fairly clean but obviously something is lacking. I knew it would be pretty high and my goal for the first half of 2010 is to lean out.

What's a realistic expectation to get to by June? 15%? 10%?

I'm going to get back into the habit of tracking via DailyBurn but really my diet is oats, shakes, chicken, veggies. I drink at a moderate level, so I'll never have 8% and I'm fine with that. I also don't do any cardio (well, 5 minutes to warm up). My diet assumptions are pretty skewed, me thinks. I'm willing to add in a few cardio days if I must, although I'd rather get my diet in check. I'm doing something wrong there and I need to figure it out. Weekly bodyfat checks should help me with that.

Anyway, just trying to set some goals here. Time to start a training log too I guess (I track progress with Gym Buddy, just never posted it). I don't care about quick results so I'm not looking for some crazy diet. I'm in this as a lifestyle thing so I want results in 6-12 months, not 6-12 weeks.

2. Creator

Yah the instructions did say you can't do it yourself, but I dont really want to ask someone to put my fat between their fingers and measure :rofl:

3. Creator

4. smb is me

smb is me New Member

i don't care to ever be above 11% :mamoru:

nick, its hard to say what would be a realistic "goal" for you, given that you make it sound like you don't want to diet or do cardio?

with good, on point diet and no cardio, you should be able to hit 12-13% or at least close. with great diet and dedicated cardio you could easily lose 4lbs per month (more if u are really at 21%) which in 6 months would be 25lbs :0
    so 5'10 166 SHOULD put you around 8-10%, but then 5'10 180 SHOULDN'T put you @ 21%, unless you don't have much muscle.

btw, if you work out at a commercial gym, just ask a trainer to do a caliper test, they shouldn't be offput by it, it only takes literally less than 45 seconds. Pay attention to how they measure, go home and play with your calipers until you can consistently get the same measurement, and then remember the exact pinch sites and method, and use that in the future.

the important thing really isn't so much that you get an accurate measurement, just that you get a CONSISTENT measurement. that way you know if you've dropped 2,3,5% body fat, regardless of what you started at and where you ended, since even with calipers its just a ballpark figure anyways.

5. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk OT Supporter

the sky is the limit, it's all up to you. If you really had the willpower and did everything right, you could be sub 10%. Just try to stick to a nice clean diet, get your cardio in, and continue to lift

6. Creator

This picture is pretty useless but it's the only shirtless one I have handy.

[​IMG]

This was a few months ago so I'm a bit more defined.

I don't want to 'diet' per say. I just want to get my eating further honed in. As I said, I eat pretty clean but it's not totally on point. In my mind, diet is something temporary. I want something sustainable and realistic. I got to this level, I'm ready for the next level. I'm ok adding two 15 minute cardio sessions a week if that'll do anything.

Good call on having a trainer do the test. I go to 24 hour. I wonder what those fuckers will charge for it. And agreeda bout the consistent measurement. That's where my head was at too. I figure 21% is exaggerated, but as long as I do it the same each time, I'll know that I am headed in the right direction which is the point. I could care less about the actual number. I figure 170ish is a good weight for me.

Thanks for the response :bigthumb:

7. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk OT Supporter

you're less than 21%. I'd say more in the range of 15

8. k624ash

k624ash New Member

You "couldn't care less" not "could care less", think about it. Unless of course you do actually mean that you care. Sorry that's a pet peeve of mine.

anyways you certainly don't look like 21%. I'd guess more like 13-15%, but I'm sure someone else on here could give you a more accurate guesstimate.

9. smb is me

smb is me New Member

haha, ur first instincts were correct. no way thats 21% (unless you are doing an A++++++ job of sucking in the gut.) ur upper abs don't stick out past ur pecs (from that angle) and your lower abs dont stick out past your upper, and you have some obliques showing.

Judging from that pic, i see no reason you couldn't get down to the 10% range (+ or -) by june just in cleaning up your diet a little, combined with eating slightly smaller portions one meal a day, and cutting your alcohol conusmption down, with 2-3 15 min cardio sessions a week--even a 5 min "warmup" and 10 min "cooldown" a few times a week. thats approx 150 cals burned.

They wont charge you anything. Just wait til u see a trainer who's not with a client and ask politely "do you have a free minute? was wondering if you'd mind doing a bf thing with the calipers?" don't make it sound like charging is an option. worst case scenario, you pretend like you were thinking about getting a personal trainer as part of your new years resolution, and have to listen to a sales pitch. then never follow through. 99% chance they'll say sure, take 45 seconds to check and cut you loose.

lastly and most importantly.
    you and patty bates should start a my heads too small for my body gang.

10. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

:werd:

Definitely not 21% going by that pic alone.

11. Creator

Oi, guess I had to post these at some point.

This is from Thursday after deadlifts

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ignore the sweats, I've had them since 2001 :rofl: They don't have a string and are disintegrating. So comfortable though

12. deadbolt

deadbolt New Member

you look less than 21 imo. but im bad at judging that shit

13. Creator

Nice. Cutting my portions down should do the trick. Perhaps it's time to finally get one of those digital scales so I actually know how much I am eating. That will go hand in hand with tracking cals again. I can do 5 minute warm up and 10 cool down after every workout, I think.

I only do abs once a week. Should I start upping that?

Good idea about getting the trainer to do it.

You missed step 4!

And :o

14. Zee916

Zee916 Engineering the world.......

Your way under 21% man.

15. Creator

So I guess the goal will be around 12%. 5-10lbs of fat need to disappear.

16. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

You're way under 21%.

In fact, your stomach is pretty flat, but your total lack of abs make you seem a bit "fatter" than you are... probably just holding some water and need some more ab work in conjunction with a solid diet.

I'd guess you're around 15%.

17. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

15-16% IMO

18. Spur

Spur Boomer

You'd probably be less if you shaved that carpet on your chest

19. Creator

I do abs once a week :o And only 1 exercise at 3x8 :o:o

Guess I need to add abs in 3x a week? I'm always on the verge of death after my workouts, the last thing I want to do is abs.

20. Creator

:fawk::fawk: You love it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.