Real World DB Designing

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Coottie, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

So I just finished my Sr. Lvl DB course and we use ER/EER diagrams to help design the DB but we totally avoided UML. We didn't even talk about UML or OODBs. Some people in class were saying that ER/EER diagrams aren't even used in the "real world" it's all UML.

What's your guys experience?? Are EER diagrams used??

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

UML is just notation. It is often the case that ER diagrams aren't made. It is also often the case that these applications are internally shit, and they often topple the companies that rely on them.

You gotta do an ER/EER diagram to make a good database if it exceeds a certain complexity. What notation you use to do that isn't important, and will vary by company. UML is not a silver bullet, its just a way to make diagrams. You learned the fundamentals. Applying them using different notations will be trivial.

It is true that alot of times you just define an object in UML, write it up, and then persist it via a framework and never do an ER or write any SQL. Ideally, software engineers don't want to ever code SQL, and some application frameworks make this possible. But for DB driven applications that require performance, and that exceed a certain complexity, you've still got to make an ER diagram and come up with a schema and all that. Knowing how a schema can restrict what kinds of questions you can ask (or effectively ask) of a DB is what you should have gotten from that course, and I'm sure you did. The fundamentals are never a waste.

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Cool...thanks for the perspective.

I got a LOT out of this class because our professor did his doctorial thesis on DBs and that's his research interest. He worked our asses off but I loved it. It was seriously the single hardest class I've had, even harder then my calc and physics classes. But I enjoyed it so much because it seems so applicable to work in the cs field.

Now I just hope I did as well on the final as I think I did. If so I may have set the curve for the class. :x:

4. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

Good luck on your final! I also did no UML in my DB class (however I had done it in previous classes) and I wouldn't worry that you haven't covered it. It is fairly easy to learn, though can be annoying to put properly into practice.

In a perfect world you'd want to make an ER diagram for every production line DB that you made, but that definately doesn't happen.

It's late here so I might be forgetting shit, but I think OODBs are a LOT slower* than relational DBs and that would be a big reason why you didn't cover them. DBs, as you know, are very reliant on speed and efficiency so it would be a major drawback in any kinda medium to large DB.

* It may have been a lot more complex ... my head hurts :(