COMIC Real talk

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by mooredodge, Apr 23, 2009.

1. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

Ok homos, need a bit of advice. I'm currently thinking of starting a record label. I'm not actually paying for anything, I'd just be the head of it. This is all based on one band, I'm a former member, so my opinion may be biased. However, there is another local band that is very rough around the edges right now, but I think they have real talent, and given time, could make me a lot of money. I'd try to add these guys to the label as well, along with any other unsigned band that I think has potential. With that said, what do you fuckers think? I mean, I'm drunk right now, so my judgement may be impaired, but I think it's worth a shot since I'm not fronting any cash, just time and effort. Here's the band I currently manage, and would be the first on the label:

http://www.myspace.com/moodminder

The other band I have in mind doesn't have any quality recordings, but they're the only other local band I'd pay to see live, and I'm quite the tightass when it comes to seeing bands.

Give me some advice, you guys are generally intelligent, so I'd like to hear what you think. Give it to me straight.

no homo

2. mooredodge

btw, going to go pass out now.

3. void

void oh yeah?

I have no idea what goes into starting a record label, but from a business standpoint, there is no free lunch. If you're not backing any of this financially, then you're not an essential piece of the pie. If you DO financially back this, then you're putting more then just your integrity on the line. Again, I don't know anything about record labels, music industry, etc... Most of the indie labels I've actually cared about reading where once part of the mainstream, that split off and started their own gig. The difference in that is they probably have the money to get something like that off the ground, and they know literally hundreds of people from previous experience. It's cliche, but it's not what you know, it's who you know.

That's my rational statement, the other side of my head just says screw that and do it. Pour whatever and everything you've got into it and don't look back. The larger the risk, the larger the reward. But is it worth it knowing that 99% of the time, you're going to lose?

That's rhetorical, don't answer that.

4. Omegaboy

Omegaboy Scuzzy Psychout Merchant OT Supporter

It kinda all depends on whats avaliable in your area really.
    whats are both these bands street cred?
    guys can be talented untalented even rough but it dosnt matter if people see a million of these local bands that are all the same.
    of course if there the crem dela crem of that particular thing, then people will flock.

On the other hand...if its not money down, then what the fuck are u waiting for?
    even if it falls on its arse, u've still got a fucktonne of experience you can take to the next project you work on.
    DO IT FUCKER

btw: Must give props to Super Mega Mega
    Melbournes hottest hole for rock n' roll :big grin:

5. Mr Coffee

Mr Coffee New Member

Hmm... If you're looking for good unsigned bands, then perhaps try something like amystreet? It's backed by Amazon if i'm not mistaken and has a lot of unsigned bands there. The idea behind it unknowns put songs on there, the more popular they are the more they can sell their songs for. All songs start for free and then when popular enough goes up to maximum amount of 0.99

Or look into other similar websites where you can check out bands that may be in your own area.

As for your own growth, i'd say do like void suggests and put yourself down for some money. No successful business person has ever started off without risking anything. In the spirit of entrepreneurship, you've got to take risks, my friend.

Moodminder sound good and i think if done correctly you could do some good with them. As for the other band, let them know that you're interested. Try and see if you can do things for them, and if so, then tell them what you can offer and sign 'em up if you think they're good enough. However, i'd take perhaps a demo of theirs and show it to people just to gauge potential interest.
    Also, if you're in the music industry, get in touch with some producers and whatnot and keep networking.

But before you get attached, make sure to convince yourself that the pro's outweigh the cons.

Let us know what you think and we can offer opinions, ideas and whatnot.

6. Mortixer

Mortixer New Member

as far as the music ascpect. My problem with the band is the vocals dont feel like they match up with the guitar. The bands image is really going to hurt the music becaue it looks like a bunch of olders guys and (this is where im getting the problem with the vocals) Trying to music younger than them. It really clashes. I think the bad needs to try to write music that refelects the lead singers vocals more.

7. mooredodge

Thanks for the input. As far as the band's music goes, I don't really have any input. Danny (the singer/guitar) is basically in charge of the band, writes the music, etc. I like it that way, as well, since I think they should retain creative control. I pretty much pick when and where they play, etc.

If I got into this position, they are completely open to preparing a contract on what sort of reimbursement I would receive, and I know I would not have any problems from them on that front. I've known these guys basically my entire life, and they're close enough that we consider each other family.

Both bands are pretty popular in the area, and when Moodminder has played larger cities, they've done well there too.

As far as the money, I have none. :rofl: But, as current management for the band, I make 10% off everything they make. (which I normally spend on drinks, :mamoru:) The whole label would be paid for by what the band earns from playing shows. We know a guy that owns a recording studio, and he's willing to record everything for us, with us paying him back in installments, as long as he does all of our recording. He's pretty decent too. Basically, instead of me putting money into, I would just run everything. Labor would be my investment, and the whole thing would float or sink depending on how well I run it. If earning a profit, I would be under contract to receive a percentage, at least at first. If it became profitable, I'd switch to a lower percentage + a salary.

My main purpose would be negotiating for distribution, airplay, touring, etc. It will be a shit ton of work, but I think it could be possible to pull off. I've already copyrighted all their material, I've signed them with a licensing company to be considered for soundtracks on tv, film, and video games, and made several contacts along the way.

So, to break it down:

Pros:
    Recording won't be a problem.
    Already have several contacts.
    Potential for excellent pay.
    Can relocate company anywhere I move.
    If nothing else, would make it far easier for me to promote the band.
    No monetary investment on my part required.
    Complete control over every aspect of the company.

Cons:
    Metric fuck-ton of work.
    Success or failure completely depends on me.
    Lots of competiton.
    Failure rate is large.
    Need to make more contacts.
    Cash flow will be a problem if Moodminder can't play, at least until I get more money.

Basically, I'm not losing anything if I do it, other than my own time. However, I've obviously never done this before, and it'll probably be a shaky start for the first year or two. I'm thinking it could pay off in the long term though, and I will have some money to put into within the next 5-10 years. :dunno:

8. XTREME COCKSUCKER

XTREME COCKSUCKER New Member

If you're going to start a label with one band, try to find an original one.

9. void

void oh yeah?

come original, you got to come origianl...all entertainers....

:nikko:

uh.....uh ... :barf:

10. Omegaboy

Omegaboy Scuzzy Psychout Merchant OT Supporter

not nessisarily

start the empire with a workhorse..something that will play often and pull a decent crowd.
    then start signing your new flavors