real or fake diamonds?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by sassy1, Nov 24, 2006.

1. sassy1

sassy1 perfusion?

Would you care if you were given a fake diamond for your engagment ring?

2. erynne936

erynne936 my av is a car, but i'm a girl. stop calling me b OT Supporter

yes

edited to elaborate:
    unless i had agreed beforehand that i was ok with a simulated stone. surprising someone with a fake ring just may not go over well.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  3. poweraid

poweraid OT Supporter

um... duh?

4. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

Engagement? Oh yeah, that would be divorce quality.

5. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I wouldn't marry a girl who wouldn't take a sim for an engagement ring.

Whoever I marry will have the financial intelligence to know that the money spent on a ring would be better used as a down payment on a house or as an investment.

If we're still together in 5-10 years, then we can replace it with a real one, if she wants.

I've gotten flamed for this in other threads before, but there were a few (smart) girls who agreed with me :)

But most importantly, talk to your gf to see what she is happy and comfortable with.

6. littlemonster

littlemonster New Member

Hmm, if the girl loves him, does it matter if it's a real diamond, or a cheap ring, costing £20? I don't see it does, personally. I'd rather know I was marrying someone I loved, than that I had an expensive ring.

7. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

If he told me it was real and I found out it was fake, yes it would be divorce quality.

I wouldn't take a fake diamond for an engagement ring. I'm far from a materialistic purchase, but I think giving a CZ is pretty pathetic.

8. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

You're going to make her wear a fake ring for 5-10 years and if you're still together you'll finally buy her a real one? Sounds like maybe you weren't as committed as you thought you were in the first place. You should never get married expecting to only be together for a couple of years. Marriage is supposed to be forever, yet sadly so many do not see it that way.

I hope she makes you buy a Focus when you really want a Lexus. After all the difference in the price could be better spent invested ;)

9. sassy1

sassy1 perfusion?

See I agree with that. But i would like to be told if it wasn't real.

10. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

If the guy were broke and it was just until we could get a real one....fine, whatever. But if it's just cause you're a cheap ass than fuck that.

11. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

I don't agree with what diamonds at all. I am morally and ethically opposed to how most diamonds are obtained.

If your self worth is so fragile that you need a display that extravagant they you are the one who is pathetic, not the "cheapass" guy.

if your friends are so shallow that you cant bear not to have the rock to show off then i dont know what to tell you.

It just makes no sense to me. its a rock. oooh shiney. stop buying the hype.

yeah, one day i might buckle to the pressure, but i'm still gonna be pretty pissed off about it.

and modern manufactured diamonds are better quality then the ones found in the ground, but i realize that you arn't buying a rock, you are putting a price on someone elses worth, so the more you can manage to spend the better.

12. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

lol, I'm probably the most un-materialistic girl around, but a diamond wedding ring is just the one thing I feel a woman deserves to be proud of! I'm sure other girls will agree. I probably own about 5 pieces of jewelry, so I look forward to it.

13. Bisexualatina86

Bisexualatina86 New Member

Uh hellz yea. What kinda cheap mofo would buy a fake diamond engagement ring

14. Two toys

Two toys New Member

i proposed to a girl 2 days ago with a 25cent ring from a vending machine and she still said yes.

15. sassy1

sassy1 perfusion?

congrats!!!

16. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

But you obviously do not expect her to wear that .25 ring for the rest of her life ;)

17. Two toys

Two toys New Member

no i don't expect her to wear the ring for the rest of her life obviously, but we were at toys r us for laughs and finding christmas things and just playing around when at the end i saw a "bling bling" vending machine with rings and chains and bracelets and all that junk, i said to myself if a ring drops i'll propose right here in the middle of toys r us. and it did. eek.

18. Elaine

Elaine New Member

Yes, I would care.

First, if he's dishonest and lies about what the ring is, then he's not marriage material.

Second, if I'm going to wear an engagement ring that looks like a diamond, it better be one. People look really closely at your engagement ring.

Third, the only reason to get a fake diamond is to afford a bigger stone. I'd rather have a smaller, clear stone than a big fake one. Moreover, my jewelry style is a bit reserved/understated, so I prefer smaller stones.

Fourth, created diamonds (aka synthetic) are not fake diamonds (aka CZ). I care about chemical composition of the rock, not how it's made.

Fifth, I care about the conditions of the workers who make or mine the rock. Therefor, in general, I prefer created diamonds to mined diamonds.

Sixth, I don't like CZ. I'd rather have some other stone, like an emerald. No one said an engagement ring had to be a diamond.

Seventh, if he's not financially solvent enough to spend a little on a ring, he's probably not ready for marriage.

Eighth, a ring isn't necessary for engagement. If you're going to start thinking outside of the box of traditional, why not go a little further? Get her a necklace or earrings instead.

Ninth, why don't you just ask her instead of us?

19. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Obviously if I proposed with a CZ we would both know it was CZ. I agree that lying about it is shady.

And it would also be set in a "real" ring and setting from a real jewelry store. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference from looking at it.

Of course. That's why I drive a Civic. I could afford a BMW if I wanted one, but I would rather invest the money.

20. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Technically a Civic is still an unecessary extravagence when there are cheaper cars to be had (if we are talking new, and generally when we are talking used) ;)

21. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

Wow. I'm not meaning to start a flame war here, but look at how ingrained it is to the women that they need to have a real diamond ring.

I completely get the need/appeal of a symbol of one's commitment and love to a person...but why does it have to be a shiny rock that is ridiculously expensive?

Men wear simple bands...if it's about the SYMBOL of the commitment and love, wouldn't that also work for a woman?

Of course, I also almost gag at all the jewelry commercials I have seen lately...they really do try to equate jewelry with love. It kind of sickens me.

Anyways, feel free to discuss.

22. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

If you want to spend less money and forego a diamond, then it might as well be something worth owning. A friend of mine gave his fiancee an antique piece, emerald solitaire with a couple small side diamonds and some fine lattice detail on the setting. It was very cool and unique and, I believe, only cost a few hundred dollars.

If there is a good reason to go out and buy a diamond engagement ring - and I'm not sure there is - it's because you are "supposed" to have a diamond. I mean, with a CZ ring, you can't even say it's a diamond. If someone asks you you have to say "well actually it's a CZ" sort of sheepishly and then inevitably explain why it was a good financial decision while the other person just stands there looking at you like you're the world's biggest cheapass. Not that I necessarily subscribe to this viewpoint, but it is the prevailing one. Nothing you can do about that.

The best way to get a diamond is to inherit one, since not only is it free, but it comes with a story. But of course not everyone is so fortunate.

Personally, diamonds bore me. They are colorless (ok so they sparkle, whoop de shit), have no real heritage as gemstones, and cost way too much money. So clearly I fail to see any point at all in buying a CZ ring. It holds no value and isn't the least bit interesting. You're not going to pass it down to your kids. It's just a placeholder to keep up some pre-defined appearance.

23. skitcy

skitcy uhm title! ok

Lame eh?

I definatly am not going diamond for any ring or jewelry I ever buy. It's made out of one of the most abundant resources on the planet and is probably the easiest compound to synthetically compose.

Why is it overpriced? Because it was a pain in the ass to cut back in the day when they didn't have laser stone cutting and such and to get a perfectly cut diamond was ACTUALLY worth the money you spent on it. Now it's over hyped bullcrap that never stopped with inflation.

I'll probably go with a saphire.

24. Vanilla Tarantino

Vanilla Tarantino OT Supporter

It's a more expensive car that has better reliability, better warranty services, and better safety ratings than the cheaper cars. The extra cost is fully justified by those aspects. Does your dimond ring come with any of that? What's the difference between diamond and CZ? Well, CZ is a bit heavier...optical properties are practically the same...diamond is a bit harder (10 on the MOHS scale vs. 8.5 for a CZ, which is still very, very hard)...diamond is a conductor and CZ is an insulator (doesn't matter for a ring)...diamonds have a disgusting history that continues today while CZs are lab created to perfection...and...that's about it...

Moral of the story, diamonds are bland, overprice stones that are simply popular due to brainwashing. I will never buy them, and if a girl can't deal with that, too bad, she's not for me. But, hey, most girls that I've told have said my idea for an engagement ring is so much better than a diamond ring. That idea being using some design that incorporates both my birthstone and that of my fiancee. More unique and much more personal.

25. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

All the people that bitch about "real diamonds" probably couldn't even tell the difference between a CZ and a diamond in the same setting.

Remember that a lot of people only care about size, and would rather have a big, 2ct diamond with shitty clarity, color, and horrible proportions, but they are happy because they can say "but I have a 2ct diamond." You could sell these people a yellow M&M and tell them it was a 2ct diamond and they would be happy.

CZs all have a color of D (colorless, the best color a diamond can have). They are cut to perfect proportions. They don't have inclusions. Basically, a diamond that is as good-looking as a CZ would be insanely expensive. In a good setting (ring setting), CZs look almost identical to the untrained eye as a diamond until you start getting above 1ct (equivalent of a 1ct diamond, I mean) or so.

edit - I'm not trying to convince anyone that CZs are better. I'm just trying to explain my viewpoint.

And I agree with MattThom01 about the diamond adds. The minute a girl says "if you loved me you'd get me an x ct. diamond" I'm gone.