MMA Real Gracie BJJ instructors?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by rtzcom, Oct 24, 2005.

1. rtzcom

rtzcom bon wons! fight slepa for life sone!~

I've been out of the MMA scene for some years now, and I've never trained since I moved to the US. Trained in the Philippines around 5 years ago. My system had BJJ, muay thai, JKD..then did weapons training with Arnis / Kali / Eskrima.

I personally find my MMA training to be half-assed, and I want to learn the individual systems.

I've been looking for nearby BJJ academies...and the closest one was run by an instructor trained by one of the Gracies. I did more research and found out that he did not train directly under a Gracie. A Gracie trained his master's master and so forth. I've seen a lot of these fuckers trying to pass as real Gracie instructors. Its a BJJ marketing scheme I believe.

So assuming that the guy was trained in the Gracie system...will it be worth it to train with them? They are asking for a $100++ monthly. I want to get my money's worth and not get sucked in by the Gracie name.

2. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

hah... just because his instructor trained under a gracie (and not himself directly) doesn't mean that he isn't good. Look him up on bjj.org if you can. What is his rank? What is his name? Where is the school located? What gracie did his instructor train under? What is the instructor's name?

3. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

Pedro Sauer is the only person I know in this area that trained with Gracies (Rickson, Helio etc..) ... I believe he charges about that a month ... obviously private lessons are more.

4. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

any bjj instructor worth his salt won't hesitate to cough up lots of information about who he studied/studies with, where he's taught, where he's competed, where his students have competed, etc.

5. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

An instructor can be good even if they arent trained directly under a gracie.

My instructor is only a blue belt, but I feel is well qualified to teach. A lot of his style comes from the fact he has 13 years of judo experience as well, so we probably train differently than some other places would. Everyone here tends to do well in competition or when rolling with people from other schools.

Point being: lineage is important, but not everything. I would suggest you try out every school in the area and see how you like it.

6. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

if you want to learn Gracie style jiu jitsu then by all means, find a qualified instructor through bjj.org etc.

7. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

just because your instructor is a gracie doesnt mean youre definitely going to be taught well. There are tons of BJJ instructors who you'll get a lot from, and don't have gracie in their name.

8. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

what are the core differences between gracie jiu jitsu, JJ and BJJ?

9. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

It's all the same thing really. Gracies call it Gracie JJ, Brazilians call it Jiu jitsu, and the rest of the world calls it bjj

10. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

gotcha, but the gracies claim that they developed their own style and techniques though

11. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

Well they modified the ground game of judo after it came to them around the turn of the century. They called their modified style GJJ. It was called jiu jitsu instead of Judo because this is what Maeda (the Japanese judo guy who instructed the gracies) called the art. If I remember correctly, this is because it occured not long after Judo was seperated from traditional japanese ju jutsu

12. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

Yeah, I was under the impression that back in the day the Japanese tacked -do at the end if the style was a "sport" and -jutsu if the style was for practical/military applications.

13. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

The original style that bjj came from was japanese jiu jitsu which Count Koma taught Carlos Gracie Sr. People actually still practice JJJ, but it is a pretty outdated martial art because of the nature of how they train (with no live sparring or ground work)

14. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

That's correct.

Japanese JuJutsu was a complete combat art which had both striking and ground work. At some point in the late 1800's, Judo was seperated from JJ as a way of training without getting injured, as was a common problem in most jujutsu dojos.

15. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

Yeah, it's not much different than Karate as it exists in America today.

16. iplay72

iplay72 OT Supporter

17. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

18. rtzcom

rtzcom bon wons! fight slepa for life sone!~

He actually came up on the BJJ.org list, but he wasn't trained directly...he lineage has a Gracie involved.

I live in a town which is predominantly Brazilian, and I've began asking around for good instructors. The last thing I want to get myself into is a wannabe "Gracie" academy given the amount I will be paying a month.

I wish I lived back then when the Gracies trained people in their garage, and passed baskets around for "alms" the equivalent of the training fees then.

19. chechen

20. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

21. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Always good to learn how to fight in all ranges.

22. iplay72

iplay72 OT Supporter

why not? he's not a good teacher?

23. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

I'm not sure of Chechen's reasons, but personally from everything I've read he sticks to the very "core" bjj stuff, only gi, stuff like that. BJJ exactly as it came from Helio. And while I'm sure he teaches those things well, you could be missing out on a lot of other things that a more progressive instructor might teach.

24. chechen

it's fairly well known that he would hold back information from students. he had one of the first BJJ academies in the united states, and i think he wanted to keep the brazilians on top or something. but royce would come and sometimes show techniques to students, and tell them not to do those techniques in front of rorion.

Also, its well known that he's very money-centered. I mean he sued his own family over the use of "gracie jiu jitsu." hes not a well liked person in the bjj community.

25. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

I wasn't aware of him holding back information, that's shitty.

And yeah, suing his own family members was pretty low.