Ready to make the jump

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by rengo, May 29, 2008.

1. rengo

rengo Are you ready to rock, BK broiler!?

So, after a lot of researching I've decided to try my hand at machine polishing. Thing is, my car (99' Mazda protege) has some pretty rough spots where I don't think I can get by with a PC/UDM. I'm thinking of starting off with a rotary polisher. :noes: Looking at either the Dewalt or Hitachi.

My thinking is, the car is pretty old, and I'm not too worried about doing any damage to it. Also, if I practice now with a rotary, I can be more confident detailing my wife's car, and anything in the future.

I've listed the biggest problem spots on the car below. My only plan thus far is wet sanding the touch-up paint and then polish it smooth.

Am I crazy? Anyone got any tips (specific to mazda paint)?

Swirl marks/scratches
    [​IMG]

Touch-up paint
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Baked on paintball
    [​IMG]

2. Grimey

Grimey New Member

holy shit, that touch up paint isn't even remotely close

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It looks like most of the scratches don't go through the color coat, though, so he should be able to polish them out and take the touch-up paint with it.

4. rengo

Yah, I've been meaning to fix that touch-up job ever since I got the car. Finally going to give it a shot.

There's only a few scratches that go through the clear coat. I can only hope I can make them less noticeable, I guess.

5. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Hey dickweed I m in Woodbury, come over Sunday and I will teach you on one of my clients cars Im doing. We met at the MN sushi meet in 2005.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Rotary won't make it perfect but use right, the car will look a lot better. Also, look into the Flex 3401. A little more than the rotary but less likely to mess up the paint if you use it wrong. Basically, it is a DA/RO polisher with forced rotation too. Not quite a rotary but much better than the PC or UDM from what I hear.

7. rengo

:rofl: Damn Ryan, didn't recognize the name. I've been away from OT for awhile.

I'll have to take you up on that offer some other time. Fishing this weekend.

8. rengo

I was looking at that one...the only sticking point for me is the price. It'd be a no-brainer if I could get a flex for the same price as a rotary.

9. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

the dewalt, while a bit heavy, is a great tool imo. it has a slow startup, so it won't fire up to speed immediatly. also, you can set it around 1400 rpm, and use trigger pressure to determine rpm up to 1400. it'll go up to 3200, just fyi.